Sign in to follow this  
I8apony19

The Lemon's INTER-JOHN

Ok....spill your latest stuff.....it may be too advanced for some of us...but I can use a good lesson every now and then on stuff....where you wanna start???

Edited by I8apony19

I'm assuming (unless some other unknown variable) that a foam surround is more efficient than a rubber surround due to less mass?

Edited by I8apony19

Perhaps due to the rubber absorbing more energy than the foam as well?

Perhaps due to the rubber absorbing more energy than the foam as well?

ooo..didn't think about that...gonna have to agree with you on that idea

hmmmm. i know theres something hes not teling us. i can sence it hes working on new subs!

Interesting...... I have some theories, but will not share for I am of the uninformed variety... B)

Interesting...... I have some theories, but will not share for I am of the uninformed variety... B)

Wuss...don't matter if you are right and wrong...just matters that you are learning....I'm not informed any more than you are :)

Interesting......  I have some theories, but will not share for I am of the uninformed variety... B)

Wuss...don't matter if you are right and wrong...just matters that you are learning....I'm not informed any more than you are :)

I choose to not make myself look a fool. Even though I am always correct. It's really disturbing to have a 176 IQ and stille be dumb. I cry every night.

Hey...don't leave us hangin' Nick....need some answers...and more talking...I want to llllllllllllllleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrnnnnnnnn.

Read a book!

If all things are kept the same, when you soften a suspension (make it more compliant) you lower Qes, Qts, and Fs, and you raise Vas. Very small changes, like a surround, can lower Qe's and raise Vas's enough to make a substantial difference. Making loudspeakers is tricky stuff.

On the note of raising Qe's (opposite of above), think about it this way - if your motor is capable of a Qts of .30 and you have a TIGHT suspension, that suspension is going to fight that motor from doing its job - AKA raising Qe's into the .4's or so.

Vas is raised because of a more compliant suspension, which also lowers Fs...as does adding mass. But adding mass reduces the overall efficiency.

There, is that sufficient Clarke? :P:slayer:

So a driver can compensate its low Qts by using a less compliant suspension..but would in turn lower overall efficiency of the driver....of course...more compliant suspensions would allow for more travel (eventual displacement)..if not tapped out by the motor or limited by it's basket...

And no..not sufficient enough...feed me more!!!

Now...if you use a very low Q driver, use very light materials which effectively raise your Fs, and use a tight suspension, wouldn't you yield a high Vas, and thus greatly increase the enclosure for a given alignment?..I'll get back to this in a second...

Maximize efficiency = low inductance, low mms = higher Fs, varied Q depending on motor and compliance

Disadvantages: Compensation of low end, larger box size required due to increased Vas

Maximize low end = average inductance, higher mms = lower Fs, varied Q depending on motor and compliance

Disadvantages: Compensation of efficiency, shoebox woofer

Maximize power handling = higher inductance, lower mms? = average Fs, assumed midline Q for a ported application??

Disadvantages: Compensation of efficiency requires larger box size.?

Now...a highly efficient, low Q driver will supply a larger Vas, and thus....a larger required box...Sounds like the Mag in comparison to the 12A to me...

I assume it all starts at the Q of the motor itself...and can be manipulated by compliance...but would lower efficiency....Picking a motor's Q must be critical...But I assume this is where we factor in BL...as it has to effect the efficiency of the driver...

Look what you've done to me...

P.S. It's 2:25am...I HAVE an excuse if I'm wrong somewhere...plus..I know nothing...

Edited by I8apony19

It's really disturbing to have a 176 IQ and stille be dumb. I cry every night.

its even more disturbing that someone with an IQ of 176 couldnt spell the word "still" correctly ;)

It's really disturbing to have a 176 IQ and stille be dumb.  I cry every night.

its even more disturbing that someone with an IQ of 176 couldnt spell the word "still" correctly ;)

Guess you missed the sarcasm in that. ;)

Guess you missed the sarcasm in that. ;)

Sarcasm on the net must be blatant, otherwise you get people like hoss questioning you... :P