Clarionlover

sundowns 1500 vs kicker 1500

so im trying to decide wether i should buy a sundowns amp or a kicker amp. Ive heard a lot of people saying that sundowns sucks and their amps are for little girls. I dont know what to believe, ive looked on the internet and seen some bench tests showing sundowns 1500 watt amps being able to do 3423 watts @ .5 ohms. That seems a little unrealistic, I need the most wattage possible, and if sundowns amps are terrific then im sure I will become a sundowns fan boi and become in love with all other sundowns owners.

so im trying to decide wether i should buy a sundowns amp or a kicker amp. Ive heard a lot of people saying that sundowns sucks and their amps are for little girls. I dont know what to believe, ive looked on the internet and seen some bench tests showing sundowns 1500 watt amps being able to do 3423 watts @ .5 ohms. That seems a little unrealistic, I need the most wattage possible, and if sundowns amps are terrific then im sure I will become a sundowns fan boi and become in love with all other sundowns owners.

I am gonna have to say that the 3424 watts was two Saz-1500d's strapped @ 1 ohm, and at something like 12.8 volts.

I vote sundown. Have owned and destroyed kicker products, getting a replacement or getting your warranty honored is a pain in the ass with kicker, as everything I send back to them was "abused"

Are you from Canada? Just asking since alot of guys up there really enjoy hating on Sundown and anything else new without even trying it. Not sure why... but that has been my experience on the Canadian Car Audio forum.

As far as ~3400 @ 1/2 ohm, that is a pair strapped at 1/2 ohm each to a 1 ohm final load. Loyd's testing produced 3740 at 12.8 volts in this configuration from a pair. At higher voltage, Sean's testing produced 5677 watts at 17.9 volts rest dropping to 15.5 volts from a pair.

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/i...?showtopic=7116

- Loyd's Test

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/i...?showtopic=7117

- Sean's Test

Are you from Canada? Just asking since alot of guys up there really enjoy hating on Sundown and anything else new without even trying it. Not sure why... but that has been my experience on the Canadian Car Audio forum.

As far as ~3400 @ 1/2 ohm, that is a pair strapped at 1/2 ohm each to a 1 ohm final load. Loyd's testing produced 3740 at 12.8 volts in this configuration from a pair. At higher voltage, Sean's testing produced 5677 watts at 17.9 volts rest dropping to 15.5 volts from a pair.

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/i...?showtopic=7116

- Loyd's Test

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/i...?showtopic=7117

- Sean's Test

yes i am from canada but have never gone on canadian car audio forum. Im from victoria BC. so how much are one of these amps and how do they compare strapped against a Digital designs Z1a?

yes i am from canada but have never gone on canadian car audio forum. Im from victoria BC. so how much are one of these amps and how do they compare strapped against a Digital designs Z1a?

I don't know that anyone has compared them to a Z1a at this time, but I do know that some have swapped out the older Z1s for a pair of 1500Ds:

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/i...?showtopic=9187

If you would like to get pricing contact Steve @ Smart Auto Sound Solutions, he is the exclusive Canadian dealer and distributor for Sundown Audio:

http://www.smartass.bz/catalog/index.php

lets see i own 2 saz-1500's currently

sundown 1500 cost under $500 new with 2 year warrenty

kicker 1500 last i checked was $1000 new with 1 year warrenty

no brainer

no brainer

sundown is $749canadian.

I dunno, is there anybody who has just tested the z1 and the 1500 strapped without actually owning them? because the results may be a little biased

no brainer

sundown is $749canadian.

I dunno, is there anybody who has just tested the z1 and the 1500 strapped without actually owning them? because the results may be a little biased

The sundown saz-1500d's msrp is 749 canadian. You have to contact your retailer for a quote for the price he is actually selling, it is substantially lower than 749 canadian or 600 american dollars/

z1's just have too many problems and are very picky when it comes to lower impedances.

who has just tested the z1 and the 1500 strapped without actually owning them?

I was there at Drag finals last year when Snoopdan's Z1 blew up on him, and I've been around enough SAZ-1500D's to leave a good impression about the product...the four we tested did 2500W per amp, but that was under ideal conditions not likely to happen in most vehicles.

no brainer

sundown is $749canadian.

if you know anything about testing at all of course the results are biased, there are no standards that are worth a chit in this industry. Either way the kicker is a good amp and the sundown is rock solid. If I were a betting man, I'd sure bet that bang for the buck you are going to really win on the Sundown though.

I am a Rep in Canada for Sundown Audio. I can get you a price on a 1500D.

I currently have 2 right now and absolutly LOVE them.

We need to change this negative perception in Canada.

Brad

Edited by SilverBane

I am a DD dealer and can honestly say the z1a is a beast but it has a lot of issues that have to be worked out. The SAZ1500 will give you around the same output when strapped and should be a little less expensive. It can also take some abuse at lower ohm loads.

As for Kicker their amps are ok but you have to mortgage your home to own one.And if you take off name tags everyones amps are all circuitry in the end. It's who can produce what they say with the lowest THD , most stable ,and the most eff. It's not how much money the can take from you in a sale and turn into POP/marketing. Most of your smaller companies put revenue back into their product for R&D, and more products to offer which is a plus for consumers. :fing34:

I am a DD dealer and can honestly say the z1a is a beast but it has a lot of issues that have to be worked out. The SAZ1500 will give you around the same output when strapped and should be a little less expensive. It can also take some abuse at lower ohm loads

You are confusing the Z1 with the Z1a.

z1a is a completely different amp and theres no way 2 strapped 1500ds will do more power

z1a is a completely different amp and theres no way 2 strapped 1500ds will do more power
I said it would be around the same power not more powerful. I know those amps very well your forgetting I'm a dealer for them ,and I sell them and install them.I have not actually tested the 1500 strapped. I'm simply using the test results off this forum. which I would hope to be somewhat accurate.

I am a DD dealer and can honestly say the z1a is a beast but it has a lot of issues that have to be worked out. The SAZ1500 will give you around the same output when strapped and should be a little less expensive. It can also take some abuse at lower ohm loads

You are confusing the Z1 with the Z1a.

There's no confusion I said Z1A. the z1 would break if you looked at them funny that's a fact.Then they came out with the Z1A and it still has some issues .What's next Z1A 1/2 or 3/4. I sell their stuff and it is some of the best stuff out there, but ever company has some bugs to work out. :mexsmoke:

so if I wanted to run street A,

if i had the choice of running sundowns or digital designs amps.

why wouldnt i run the z1s? sure two 1500s strapped make the same power as a z1 but not if I want to run two strapped.

has anyone ever tested 4 1500s vs 2 z1s?

I wanna see the results when the 3000 vs z1 come out. or two of each strapped together against each other.

I don't know anyone locally that has a Z1 or I'd do some testing back to back. Perhaps someone else on here has the setup to try it out. Fact is, Sundown is a new company and more people have used DD so the Sundown's have not been compared to everything under the sun yet :)

I don't know anyone locally that has a Z1 or I'd do some testing back to back. Perhaps someone else on here has the setup to try it out. Fact is, Sundown is a new company and more people have used DD so the Sundown's have not been compared to everything under the sun yet :)

Well I know someone locally with sundown amps, and someone with z1s.

Same power? The Z1A does 5KW@1ohm. What is the name of your shop TRZ?

I said it would be around the same power not more powerful. I know those amps very well your forgetting I'm a dealer for them ,and I sell them and install them.I have not actually tested the 1500 strapped. I'm simply using the test results off this forum. which I would hope to be somewhat accurate.

Z1's or Z1a's? Testing against Z1's would be pointless since they don't have near the power of a Z1a.

Edited by Fixxer

Same power? The Z1A does 5KW@1ohm. What is the name of your shop TRZ?

Z1's or Z1a's? Testing against Z1's would be pointless since they don't have near the power of a Z1a.

So your saying 1 z1 vs 2 1500Ds wouldn't be a fair test?