ripper

Early review of Icon 15

alrite so heres the basics, box is 3 cu ft tuned to 35 hz ported. powered by a SoundStream PCA 2000d turned half way up on gain, so about ~1000 watts.

Let's just say if Bass Mekanik was a judge, this sub would pass. The first disc i threw in was my Bass Mekanik Reload cd and it sounded great. After a while of driving and listening i decided to turn the amp up more so now its gettin around 1300-1400 watts and still works perfectly.

My second test involves ~1000 watts on rap music. i threw in 3 6 mafia late night tip, icp- Aint yo bidness, and KottonMouth Kings-bump. The sub sounds great. When the bass starts to get faster, the woofer does not mutter, or kind of just flow and make a mutter sound, like it cant handle it. it hitss hard and loud and keeps up with the speed of the song. i especially liked how the sub never once sounded like it was botteming out. I use to have a 12w6, and although i was overpowering it, it seemed to bottom out alot. Box was correct but it just couldnt handle the power. THIS SUB IS asking for power.

My last test today was ~800 watts on Killswitch Engage and Slipknot. Theres just a thing about rock music and subs i dont like. but rock music is the main music i listened to. i turned down the gain because i like to hear the music when i listen to rock....just a disclaimer.

During the double bass kicks in the music and the bass drops on the cds, the sub had actually more sq then i thought it would have. I wasnt necessary skeptical of the sub, just a new line of never widely used drivers i guess. this sub sounded really great to rock music just as to rap and bass tracks. This sub would more then likely sound great to rock music on 1000+ watts, but its just a habit of mine, either i turn the amp down or the sub down via headunit.

ALL in all i would not advise anyone to use this sub as an SPL sub, I myself will be though..i put the AudioQue up for sale, which is currently in the for sale section for 230 shipped... =P The sub sounds good. Damn loud like my AQ and has great sq such as jl and mag. The motor is sexxxy too. I am currently fighting a losing battle of getting my DVD player headunit fixed. Concept has had it over a month, and i called them again today and they said it would be at the end of june or early july before they even get the parts for repair. hopefully uBid will give me instore credit like i asked them for today...just get the pioneer cd player they have and call it good for the first show. If i decide to travel 2 hours away to get metered i will make a vid, but i probably wont, its not really worth it.

sub is great overall. if the prices stay the same or dont go up I might try to puchase 2 10s...not sure right now though.

This sub is extremely Underrated RMS wise. I would recommend around 1300-1400 watts if you want to hear what it can do, more if you want to hear what it can REALLY do =P . im pushin limits but its a great sub and hasnt sounded like it was gonna peak anytime soon.

Thanks Mark and everyone who helped in the production of the ICON series and i hope you recieve more sales on the woofers but still keep your prices where they are. You are providing a great product for a great price and not many companies dont sell out these days.

Dustin Lowery II-----6-11-07

Edited by ripper

alrite so heres the basics, box is 3 cu ft tuned to 35 hz ported. powered by a SoundStream PCA 2000d turned half way up on gain, so about ~1000 watts.

Let's just say if Bass Mekanik was a judge, this sub would pass. The first disc i threw in was my Bass Mekanik Reload cd and it sounded great. After a while of driving and listening i decided to turn the amp up more so now its gettin around 1300-1400 watts and still works perfectly.

My second test involves ~1000 watts on rap music. i threw in 3 6 mafia late night tip, icp- Aint yo bidness, and KottonMouth Kings-bump. The sub sounds great. When the bass starts to get faster, the woofer does not mutter, or kind of just flow and make a mutter sound, like it cant handle it. it hitss hard and loud and keeps up with the speed of the song. i especially liked how the sub never once sounded like it was botteming out. I use to have a 12w6, and although i was overpowering it, it seemed to bottom out alot. Box was correct but it just couldnt handle the power. THIS SUB IS asking for power.

My last test today was ~800 watts on Killswitch Engage and Slipknot. Theres just a thing about rock music and subs i dont like. but rock music is the main music i listened to. i turned down the gain because i like to hear the music when i listen to rock....just a disclaimer.

During the double bass kicks in the music and the bass drops on the cds, the sub had actually more sq then i thought it would have. I wasnt necessary skeptical of the sub, just a new line of never widely used drivers i guess. this sub sounded really great to rock music just as to rap and bass tracks. This sub would more then likely sound great to rock music on 1000+ watts, but its just a habit of mine, either i turn the amp down or the sub down via headunit.

ALL in all i would not advise anyone to use this sub as an SPL sub, I myself will be though..i put the AudioQue up for sale, which is currently in the for sale section for 230 shipped... =P The sub sounds good. Damn loud like my AQ and has great sq such as jl and mag. The motor is sexxxy too. I am currently fighting a losing battle of getting my DVD player headunit fixed. Concept has had it over a month, and i called them again today and they said it would be at the end of june or early july before they even get the parts for repair. hopefully uBid will give me instore credit like i asked them for today...just get the pioneer cd player they have and call it good for the first show. If i decide to travel 2 hours away to get metered i will make a vid, but i probably wont, its not really worth it.

sub is great overall. if the prices stay the same or dont go up I might try to puchase 2 10s...not sure right now though.

This sub is extremely Underrated RMS wise. I would recommend around 1300-1400 watts if you want to hear what it can do, more if you want to hear what it can REALLY do =P . im pushin limits but its a great sub and hasnt sounded like it was gonna peak anytime soon.

Thanks Mark and everyone who helped in the production of the ICON series and i hope you recieve more sales on the woofers but still keep your prices where they are. You are providing a great product for a great price and not many companies dont sell out these days.

When you say not an spl sub... Do you mean its just more of a daily sub for music and not for burps at comps, or what do you mean more specifically?

When you say not an spl sub... Do you mean its just more of a daily sub for music and not for burps at comps, or what do you mean more specifically?

i mean not 4000 watts. I havent fully broken it in yet, thats why i stated the thread as EARLY review. Mark told me that once it is broken in it will be even better. i will eventually send it 2000 daily once its broke in. but as far as like an all out SPL sub such as an MT, DD 9900, etc. i would not go there. This sub weighs much less, involves a much smaller box, and gets loud as chit in my car. I would say in my application it is louder then my 9515 JUST because it required such a big box, unlike the ICON 15. Do you understand what i mean?

and nice review

J

it is rated at 900. and as far as 2000 watts goes, im pushing its limits, not for daily, but just for testing...remember its just early testings...

Thanks for the review man, I also hope that the prices stay this low...

You have persueded me to get one...

The ICON was not designed with SPL in mind. It is meant to be a strong daily sub with smooth response.

Doesn't mean it can't be dual purpose.............

J

Doesn't mean it can't be dual purpose.............

J

Exactly ;)

it has some loudness in the DNA :D

The ICON was not designed with SPL in mind. It is meant to be a strong daily sub with smooth response.

x2. couldnt have said it better myself

you didnt touch too much on the sound quality....how was the response on the 2x kicks and the changing bass lines?

i said that it took it well on the heavy metal. i thought that pretty much sumed it up. it had all around good sq.

this was my exact wording in my review

During the double bass kicks in the music and the bass drops on the cds, the sub had actually more sq then i thought it would have.

Great review, there was no doubt in our minds you wouldn't like it! Glad to hear. ca.com has no idea what to expect out of this sub, i'm sure they'll all be delieghtfully surprised by it! Can't wait to see that response over there as well....

also looking forward to the later review of it once it's broken in.

:bananaDance:

vids shmids....alrite let me see what i can do, im busy at the bowling alley the next few days helping with the lane installation but i can try saturday? Im trying to make enough overtime within this month to try to get 2 12s. i think these babys CAN hit as hard as a MAGNUM. I think its very possible and i want to try.

Great review, there was no doubt in our minds you wouldn't like it! Glad to hear. ca.com has no idea what to expect out of this sub, i'm sure they'll all be delieghtfully surprised by it! Can't wait to see that response over there as well....

also looking forward to the later review of it once it's broken in.

:bananaDance:

wouldn't it be 'no doubt in our minds that you'd love it'?

And I can't wait to hear mine!!!

J

the 12's work, lol. they work just fine. a full review on one coming soon.

(it's currently in the truck as i type)

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

Awesome Kent,

I cannot wait!!

the 12's work, lol. they work just fine. a full review on one coming soon.

(it's currently in the truck as i type)

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

it feels like christmas around here now! Do you have a time frame in mind for the review? When we can see it? If it's anyhting like your maw v. rd review, it'll be a great write up.

it'll be up this weekend. and it'll be right along the lines of the maw vs classic review.

tl numbers and all. maybe a little comparo thrown in against a LA x2 12.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

Well on the downside, I'm not sure how my review will go........may only be one other competitor.

J