Shinisa

Going from Car Stero To Home Theatre (Ported Box Plans Needed)

Well the topic pretty much sums it up. After having (2) RL-P 12" in a car for several years I have decided to put the subs inside the house. This frees up the space restrictions, and I have been enticed to build a ported box. So with all the experience most of you guys have on this board, I would appreciate some feedback or advice on building a ported box.

Here is some info about what i got/need

-I listen to mainly rap/R&B

-Would like a strong balance between Home Theatre Use and Music listening

-I will be using a EP2500 Amplifier (This gives me 500 watts if I run it at 8 ohms or 1200 watts if i choose to run it at 2 ohm) I would prefer to run it off 8 ohms and rely on a damm good box instead of power to extract everthing the sub has got.

-Relatively large room

-Slot port preferred

Let me know if there is anything else I haven't listed. I have been fumbling around with WINISD, but I'm embarrassed to admit I'm having trouble trying to get it working properly. :puzzled::thanx:

As promised here are the pics of the old set-up. It was in a Subaru Impreza with about 1.2^3 ft per sub. (Not nearly as much as I wanted but small trunk size prevented anything bigger. The frontstage are CDT Audio HD series powered by A US-Amps 600X. 2 RL-P's powered by a US AMP DE-1000

n28206178_30690049_4552.jpg

n28206178_30690050_4858.jpg

n28206178_30690053_5715.jpg

n28206178_30690054_6013.jpg

See the DE hiding in the spare tire well? :OhYeah:

And you didn't like the response of the sealed setup?

And you didn't like the response of the sealed setup?

Well basically what I did was take the box directly out of the car and put it inside my house. Although it sided good in the car, I do believe the subs potential aren't being met. With a ported box, I believe I can get a lot more performance out of it, since I now have the space to do so.

On the website Mike says:

Optimal Home:

2.0 cu ft net volume sealed

2.5 cu ft net volume vented, Fb = 16.5 Hz

Tune low and hang on!!

I'm guessing that the recommended 16.5Hz tune is 99% HT use only. Personally I'd tune a little higher, around 19Hz if you want 50/50 music & HT. Model both and see which response you like best.

I just moved my RL-P 15's into the house. Each one is in 10^3 @ 19Hz only getting 400watts each and output is incredible for HT and respectable for music.

I'm guessing that the recommended 16.5Hz tune is 99% HT use only. Personally I'd tune a little higher, around 19Hz if you want 50/50 music & HT. Model both and see which response you like best.

I just moved my RL-P 15's into the house. Each one is in 10^3 @ 19Hz only getting 400watts each and output is incredible for HT and respectable for music.

I think that 3.0cu each tuned to 25-58hz would give you a great blend of music/HT use.

EBS FTW, assuming it's predominant usage will be home theatre. If it's for an even mix of stereo and theatre, or mostly stereo, then something like 4-5 cubes tuned to 20-25Hz might be satisfactory.