uglydimple12

New Setup

Hey guys,

I m back.. I was here like a month or two ago.. I was collecting the informations I need for my new set up..

Then finally, I got the set up done.. I have a 15" Fi Q D2, Ported box tuned at 26hz, JBL GTO 1201.1 II amplifier..

PICS:

DSC02154.jpg

DSC02155.jpg

DSC02156.jpg

DSC02157.jpg

BUT I have a problem here.. I grabbed a deal for the box and sub combo when I needed a Q that is D1 not D2.. But the sub I got is D2.. So I am stuck with 4 ohm load on the sub since JBL amp is 2 ohm or 4 ohm stable only.. It cannot go lower than 2 ohm..

At 4 ohm(which it is running on right now) load, it is only 787 watts RMS.. If it is at 2 ohm load, it would be 1200 watts rms..

It already sounds sweet at 787 watts rms.. i can imagine it would be awesome if it was 1200 watts..

So I am wondering what do you guys recommend me to do? I m thinking about selling my sub and get another one at D1 and whatever? Unless I find someone who has a Q with D1 that wants a D2 Q that I can trade with.. Or can I send this to Fi and have them replace the motor to D1??

Help would be very much appreciated, Thanks

Honestly, I would probably keep it the way it is, or add another sub to drop the impedance.

if you like

i have a 2006 RF Power T20001 BD mint w remote bass knob and owners manual

1880 x1 @ 4

2220 x1 @ 2

2860 x 1 @ 1

switch amps

keep 4 ohms

it will sound good at 4

but as mentioned you can get another sub and drop the load

you will need a new box though

what box is that you buy or make ?

LMK

got pics of your amp? you want to trade your amp for my amp? I am not looking to buy another one, I m broke.. I only can sell mine and buy one or trade with the one I have right now.

But I might prefer to switch subs instead of amps..

(seriously, I m wondering how much would it cost for me to have Fi replace the motor to Dual1? will it be expensive?)

I would love to get another sub but that is not what I want tho (also I dont have the money to buy another sub)

The box I got is from a guy who already made it.. It is built with 3/4 MDF, tuned at 26hz for daily listening (I more likely will build my own 32hz box which is better for my kind of songs..)

Honestly, I would probably keep it the way it is, or add another sub to drop the impedance.

I dont see why I should keep it the way it is right now when it is not at its full potiental.. I want to make sure my money is worth it so I want it to be at its fullest.. That's just me..

"Full potential", to some degree, is a mental thing...nothing that says you have to run a sub at full rated RMS power to be happy, I don't know where that came from. All this worrying about sending every last watt of power to the driver seems silly to me.

If you're not happy with the output, that's another thing - but I highly doubt you'll notice much of a difference by adding 400W.

Jim is right, you do not have to run the sub full tilt. That is really only a need if you are competing. But if the output is not enough, then swap out the amp. I think it will be more money to ship the sub back to Fi, get it reconed to a D1 and then shipped back, then just selling the current amp and spending that money on a replacement.

you could always risk it and run it at 1ohm. Good chance you'll fry your amp but you'll get all that full potential that you need.

"Full potential", to some degree, is a mental thing...nothing that says you have to run a sub at full rated RMS power to be happy, I don't know where that came from. All this worrying about sending every last watt of power to the driver seems silly to me.

If you're not happy with the output, that's another thing - but I highly doubt you'll notice much of a difference by adding 400W.

True, but I was aiming for 2 ohm load (1200 watts) all year long, and now here it comes, I only get 4 ohm load.. Yes I am happy but I would be happier if I got what I wanted you know?

Jim is right, you do not have to run the sub full tilt. That is really only a need if you are competing. But if the output is not enough, then swap out the amp. I think it will be more money to ship the sub back to Fi, get it reconed to a D1 and then shipped back, then just selling the current amp and spending that money on a replacement.

well yeah, but more likely I will just sell the sub instead, and get another one with BP power option and D1..

But I am talking with a guy about trading his Orion 2004 Amp for my amp, it is 1 ohm stable..

you could always risk it and run it at 1ohm. Good chance you'll fry your amp but you'll get all that full potential that you need.

I think I will pass on that lol..

P.S. My amp is tuned at 0 db for bass boost.. I am wondering if I should keep it that way? Or I should turn it up a bit? I was told that Bass Boost is a BAD idea.. let me know, thanks

Yes I am happy but I would be happier if I got what I wanted you know?

What you're going through is old fashioned psychoacoustics...you're telling yourself there's a problem when there isn't one.

But it's your money. Don't be surprised if there isn't a huge difference when you change amplifiers though :)

Well I ll do what I want to do alright?

And more likely I got a deal from a guy that wants my sub.. Then I ll buy a new Q with BP Power option.. so it ll be a difference I am sure..

Just wondering...if changing the VC confic (let say D2 to D1) do we change the coil or the motor? Isnt a standard recone will do it? Or its not even worth doing it compared to buying another one.

What you're going through is old fashioned psychoacoustics...you're telling yourself there's a problem when there isn't one.

But it's your money. Don't be surprised if there isn't a huge difference when you change amplifiers though :)

Hey.. you got me thinking about my set up today..

You said I wont notice a difference in 400 more watts.. I dont understand why are you saying that?

Let's compare 0 watt and 400 watts.. That is a big difference right? And I dont see any different from that for 800 to 1200 watts?

Let me know, thanks

P.S. I got offers for my sub and I am not sure if I should let it go already.. Over at other forum, some are suggesting me to try give my amp 1 ohm load and see what happens, and it would go in protect if it wont work so no harm will be done? What do you guys think? TIA

You said I wont notice a difference in 400 more watts.. I dont understand why are you saying that?

Let's compare 0 watt and 400 watts.. That is a big difference right? And I dont see any different from that for 800 to 1200 watts?

That's got to be one of the worst comparison's I've ever seen in my life. The general rule of thumb is that you gain an audible difference (about a 3 db gain that is) every time you double the power. Going from 0 to 400 is infinitely bigger, while going from 800 to 1200 isn't even double. If you're chasing tenths on a meter, then absolutely put the extra power to it, otherwise I doubt you'll notice an audible difference.

if you already know what you're going to do, and don't want advice from people with way more experience than you, then why are you asking for opinions and help?

Our ears aren't linear, they work on a logarithmic scale...so yes, there's a big difference between the two :)

I guess I ll just leave it as is for now.. unless someone shoots me an offer for it then I ll take it and get a new one with bp power option..

So I can get bigger amp to power it in future.. and who knows i ll get an extra sub..

I m just curious, how much does it cost to get it reconed to Dual1?

Edited by JBeaver

From the psychoacoustic world it is generally stated that an untrained ear can barely tell the difference between a 3db bump and not (assuming some time has lapsed between playing the signals). In your case you aren't doubling power so theoretically you won't get even 3db so everyone else is definitely right that you really won't notice the difference hardly at all. I use hardly because it will be noticeable on a meter.

If you have extra budget and want to do something spend it on your front stage. I would pretty much guarantee what you have won't keep up with your sub anyways.

I see ok, I understand now.. I m pretty new to this kind of stuff so thats why I dont get it at first.. Sorry if I frustrated some of you guys..

I got a set of 3 way speakers(I know I should have comps instead) up in the front.. But they are not being amped yet, I need to buy some wirings and accessories/parts then I ll be set to amp those speakers up.. Then it should be a bit better? More clarity in the words especially?

For some reason, Orion 2500D is an eye candy to me right now.. I am considering finding a way to get that amp.. Do any of you guys have any experience on that amp? Is it that good? Also if i get it, I might get another Q in near future and run 2 subs with that amp..

Edited by JBeaver

are you talking about the 2500d that's silver? those and the 1200ds were great amps, i had a 1200d and denim has a 2500d.

yeah the chrome one.. its a beauty to me lol..

I m seriously considering getting one, but in order to get that I ll have to trade with cash/sell my JBL 1201.1

then I ll probably get another Fi Q in near future.. I m wondering if I have (2) Fi Q D2, will they be able to wired to give 1 ohm load together?

no, you'll have either .5 or 2ohm final and i'm not sure if the 2500 was 1/2 ohm stable

I did a research and the 2500D is 1/2 ohm stable.. But, not sure if it ll handle .5 ohm with no problem..

How do I get a 1 ohm load from 2 sub to one amp? (2) D1 subs?

I did a research and the 2500D is 1/2 ohm stable.. But, not sure if it ll handle .5 ohm with no problem..

How do I get a 1 ohm load from 2 sub to one amp? (2) D1 subs?

series the coils, parallel the woofers