mrogowski

IXL-18.4 Published Specs

So after randomly selecting units and testing them (after a good burn-in period) here are the published specs for the new IXL-18.4. You may find them better than the original(s). Even I am pleasantly surprised:

IXL-18.4

Thiele-Small parameters:

Fs = 17.7 Hz

Re = 3.4 ohms[dc]

Le = 6.09 mH

Qt = 0.37

Qes = 0.39

Qms = 5.59

Mms = 434.34 grams

Rms = 8.69 kg/s

Cms = 0.184 mm/N

Vas = 274.1 liters

Sd= 1029.22 cm^2

Bl = 20.51 Tm

Lp(2.83V/1m) = 91.60 dB

If I have enough time this weekend, I'll do some testing and post some graphs.

Best,

Mark

EDIT: Le has been changed to a more accurate number. This measurement was taken using a 100Hz test frequency.

Can I get outside diameter and mounting depth measurements? Thanks Mark!

Edited by cobbpa

Pleasant surprise is an understatement. Those who were very concerned about enclosure size before should be a little bit more comfortable: huge drop in Vas and Qtc .707 is about half now what it was before (down to around 3.75 cubes from around 7 cubes before).

Seems very promising Mark.

So after randomly selecting units and testing them (after a good burn-in period) here are the published specs for the new IXL-18.4. You may find them better than the original(s). Even I am pleasantly surprised:

IXL-18.4

Thiele-Small parameters:

Fs = 17.7 Hz

Re = 3.4 ohms[dc]

Le = 10747.13 uH

L2 = 6564.99 uH

Perhaps a stupid question, but I have the agility to convert units of a law student. Is the inductance of this driver 10.7mH or 1.07mH?

IXL-18.4

Thiele-Small parameters:

Fs = 17.7 Hz

Re = 3.4 ohms[dc]

Le = 10747.13 uH

L2 = 6564.99 uH

Perhaps a stupid question, but I have the agility to convert units of a law student. Is the inductance of this driver 10.7mH or 1.07mH?

1 uH (micro Henry) = 0.001 mH (milli Henry

1 mH = 1000 uH

10747.13 uH = 10.75 mH

Inductive corner frequency is determined by

f = Re/(2Pi*Le)

f = 3.4/(2*3.14*0.01075)

f = 3.4/0.06751

f = 50.36 Hz

Now that i know i have enough volume to do one in a ported box with optimal conditions... :slayer: I wonder what one would sound like in a 4th order . :) Time to compare the IXL's to the mj's mark :)

Edited by cycle252

Wow mark what changes were made to decrease the Vas so much? Either way Nice Job! Now if only it were a dual. ;)

What is the official Xmax (and XMech too?) Is it the same as the prototype?

Published Le numbers seem to be a bit out-of-bounds for the design. I will be verifiying this tomorrow using a rather expensive LCR device to get a better reading. I'll post the results here.

The X readings are the same as the prototype.

Best,

Mark

hmmm...you are making me want to yank the back seat outa the truck again..lol...

adn do a pair of these things, lol...

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

1 uH (micro Henry) = 0.001 mH (milli Henry

1 mH = 1000 uH

10747.13 uH = 10.75 mH

Inductive corner frequency is determined by

f = Re/(2Pi*Le)

f = 3.4/(2*3.14*0.01075)

f = 3.4/0.06751

f = 50.36 Hz

I thought that the quoted

Edited by DS-21

Here is the output of the IXL in a 260 litre bass reflex enclosure tuned to 17Hz. The green line is the driver, the yellow is the port. Measurements are nearfield - mic was placed one inch from driver and port. The port measurement has a 24db/oct xover applied at 100Hz for clarity.

ixl-18-with-port.jpg

Nice and low Fs and nice QTS for many different enclosures. :)

Here is the output of the IXL in a 260 litre bass reflex enclosure tuned to 17Hz. The green line is the driver, the yellow is the port. Measurements are nearfield - mic was placed one inch from driver and port. The port measurement has a 24db/oct xover applied at 100Hz for clarity.

ixl-18-with-port.jpg

Mark, did the video turn out?

I was at Mark's when the testing was done. This driver can move a lot of air! How come you guys can't listen to music at 85-90dB? :)

ixl-18-with-port.jpg

Mark, did the video turn out?

I was at Mark's when the testing was done. This driver can move a lot of air! How come you guys can't listen to music at 85-90dB? :)

ppppsshhhh........I fart 85db....LOL :)

I wanna see this vid :)

Edited by Puggsley456

Hmm... I figured you would be louder than that Puggs. :lol:

Here's a vid:

IXL

Hmm... I figured you would be louder than that Puggs. :lol:

Here's a vid:

IXL

HAHA......sounds like you had the wife outside cutting the grass while you played with your new toy. :lol2:

Was that in a tube? Get some music on it! :)

Good movement from that beast. For some reason I had the song "Cat Scratch Fever" pop into my head when I watched that. :)

HAHA......sounds like you had the wife outside cutting the grass while you played with your new toy. :lol2:

Don't you know it! ;) It was 32*C outside and she was sweating bullets, while Gio and I were inside the air conditioned house sucking on beers and watching the walls move...

Now that's a dedicated wife! :D

Don't you know it! ;) It was 32*C outside and she was sweating bullets, while Gio and I were inside the air conditioned house sucking on beers and watching the walls move...

Now that's a dedicated wife! :D

:P

Just for you, I'll attach an extra pair of connectors on the basket and you can connect wires to them. Then you can pretend its a dual coil sub... :D

Mine come tomorrow. They will make lovely trinkets.

Just for you, I'll attach an extra pair of connectors on the basket and you can connect wires to them. Then you can pretend its a dual coil sub... :D

I'm good at pretending. :canflag1::bow28::canflag1: