Sign in to follow this  
akop18

SSD 15" 2, 4, or 6?

I currently have 2 SSD 15s (with copper coils) in my jeep wrangler. I have them in a ported box but they just arn't loud enough for me. They're on a sundown 1500d and i have another sundown sitting around waiting to be used.

I'm wondering if 4 SSD 15s in a sealed box would be louder than 2 in a ported box. I don't think i have enough space to put 4 in a ported box.

Would 6 SSD 15s be noticeably louder than 4?

With 2 i can give them more power than they can handle.

With 4 they'll probably get about 750 rms each.

With 6 they'll probably get about 500 rms each.

Is the increase in cone area worth the decrease in power per woofer?

I'm planning to make a fiberglass box so i think i'll be able to squeeze 6 in my wrangler. Would be sweet to look inside a tiny jeep and see 6 huge subwoofers...

I currently have 2 SSD 15s (with copper coils) in my jeep wrangler. I have them in a ported box but they just arn't loud enough for me. They're on a sundown 1500d and i have another sundown sitting around waiting to be used.

I'm wondering if 4 SSD 15s in a sealed box would be louder than 2 in a ported box. I don't think i have enough space to put 4 in a ported box.

I'm planning to make a fiberglass box so i think i'll be able to squeeze 6 in my wrangler. Would be sweet to look inside a tiny jeep and see 6 huge subwoofers...

I don't think more subs are the answer. You aren't going to get an open top vehicle loud. I personally think that sealed sounds louder in the open, but SSD's aren't boomy, so they might not be what you're after. ?

You need a new car for SPL.

4 sealed should be louder that 2 ported. if your not going to be able to get close to 800 rms to each one i would only run 4 not six.

I agree with above, but remember it is all in your install.

It is next to impossible to get a soft topped vehicle loud... better if it has a hard top to the Jeep.

(4)15s sealed would be louder from about 45Hz on up and about 30 Hz on down (assuming an averaged SSD enclosure tuned to 33). If you add the second amp into the mix, then the 4 SSDs sealed would be louder overall... reproducing the same output near the porteds tuning, and then about 6dB more elsewhere.

Thanks,

Scott

Thanks for the help.

I do have a hard top, with second skin sound deadener.

I put 2 layers of Damplifier, a layer of Overkill, and a layer of Heat Wave on my hard top and then fiberglassed over the deadener so i could upholster it.

I will try 4 SSDs sealed on 2 sundowns. Thanks for the help!

im not sur eif this is correct... if im wrong correct me someone but doubling cone area will be a 3dB increase and doubling the power will be a 3dB increase as well (not literally but something along those lines)

The site says 3-4 cuft for 1 15" SSD in a ported box tuned to 33hz.

Could i squeeze 4 15" SSDs into a 10 cuft box? Tuned to 33hz with 165 square inches of port area.

Maybe I could just use 3 15" SSDs in that box.

I'd think 3 SSDs on 3500 watts should be significantly louder than 2 on 1800 watts.

I just don't want to have to upgrade again. I went from audiobahn < type r 12" < 2 ssd 15"

Want my next system to be more than enough...

The site says 3-4 cuft for 1 15" SSD in a ported box tuned to 33hz.

Could i squeeze 4 15" SSDs into a 10 cuft box? Tuned to 33hz with 165 square inches of port area.

Maybe I could just use 3 15" SSDs in that box.

I'd think 3 SSDs on 3500 watts should be significantly louder than 2 on 1800 watts.

I just don't want to have to upgrade again. I went from audiobahn < type r 12" < 2 ssd 15"

Want my next system to be more than enough...

if you only have 10 cubes to work with dont go ported go sealed.

im not sur eif this is correct... if im wrong correct me someone but doubling cone area will be a 3dB increase and doubling the power will be a 3dB increase as well (not literally but something along those lines)

in theory if you doubled power and cone area you should see a 3db gain combined. you might only see 1-2 dbs or you could see 3-4dbs depending on the box, car, electrical, ect. there are many variables that could change this.

Sign in to follow this