Audio Junkies

Wood Glue Showdown

Pretty surprising results, I would have bet my money on the Gorilla Glue and it got its ass kicked.

http://www.audiojunkies.com/blog/346

I'm going to have to try out the Titebond III on my next box and see if I like it.

* Sorry if this is in the wrong place, I figured it would be the most relevant here.

I will attest to the strength of titebond III, on my first box ever, we used titebond III, and when said box had lived out its purpose, me and a friend took a sledgehammer to the box. We could not break the joints, the mdf would break down but the mdf adjoined by the glue just would not separate, so 2 more weeks in the rain and than we decided to run over the joint with his lifted truck which weighs nearly 4 tons. The mdf split, tore, disintegrated etc. But the joint had only cracked once and it was perpendicular to the joints orientation.

Very good , I guess now people will start to realize I'm not just talking out my arse :D just wished they had included the ever popular liquid nails in the test . But maybe it was left out on purpose as it's not meant for this purpose :)

I use Titebond for pretty much everything wood-related...they even have a "dark mixture" that makes it a little easier to stain over it and have everything match up to darker woods.

Cool stuff..

I knew when i broke the wood before i broke the glue joint that titebond was good stuff :)

Good stuff. I've switched from Gorilla Glue to Titebond about a year ago and am quite satisfied with it.

Good stuff. I've switched from Gorilla Glue to Titebond about a year ago and am quite satisfied with it.

If you don't have perfect cuts how well does Titebond work at filling gaps?

That is the best part of Gorilla Glue, but it is very apparent that it isn't as strong.

That is the best part of Gorilla Glue, but it is very apparent that it isn't as strong.

Idk, I use fiberglass and duct tape, lol. (ductape the inside seams and than resin over the tape and once it is dried you will never have to worry about an air leak.

Being that it is PVA-based, there are some critical considerations. Firstly, virtually all PVA glues work best in terms of adhesion when they have some pressure or clamping force on them while they set. Secondly, PVA works *ok* for gap filling, but works substantially better if you mix it with some sawdust (I have a pail of MDF dust that I mix it with).

I would like to see a test with some more variety of woods thrown in. From my personal experience pva glues don't work all that well with oily woods such as rosewood, bacote, bubinga . yada yada . Granted we don't encounter exotic woods much. But it would still be nice to know :)

i did a low level test like this before i did my atlas boxes, i used a couple epoxies, gorilla glue, titebond (II i think) and probond. Titebond and probond were both so strong the mdf broke instead of the glue, but the main difference was the thickness of the glues, I don't remember which way it went now but i believe probond was a lot thinner

I would like to see a test with some more variety of woods thrown in. From my personal experience pva glues don't work all that well with oily woods such as rosewood, bacote, bubinga . yada yada . Granted we don't encounter exotic woods much. But it would still be nice to know :)

I agree 100% on the oily woods part. PVA usually works well with very porous and/or dry/rough woods.

Absolutley nothing suprising about this test, pretty well what I already assumed.

But good read anyways. :)

i use nothing but titebond II or III, it's always been great stuff.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

Man, if I'm using bubinga, I don't want it coming close to taking 2000 pounds of pressure anyway :D

That'd be one serious turntable plinth or speaker baffle...

Man, if I'm using bubinga, I don't want it coming close to taking 2000 pounds of pressure anyway :D

That'd be one serious turntable plinth or speaker baffle...

Bubinga is a very dense wood . It would handle the pressure more than most domestic woods will :)

Nice post. It feels good to be justified.

of course, no man with a good car needs to be justified. ;)

of course, no man with a good car needs to be justified. ;)

i lmao'd

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

Being a woodworker I can attest to the abilities of the titebond products. I hate gorilla glue just because of what happens when you get it on your skin. It is very difficult to get off. I think the probond is just as good as titebond. The probond I got was a bit thicker.