Koridan

The sound deadener Poll

Sound Deadening  

136 members have voted

1. 1. Which Sound Deadener do you Prefer?

• Dynamat
    • Brown Bread
    • Second Skin
    • eDead
    • Cascade Audio
    • FatMat
    • RAAMmat
    • B-Quiet
    • Hushmat

It looks like SecondSkin took the win. Question about it. Is the Damplifier Pro worth the Extra 30 something odd dollars even though I will not be entering into any competitions? Also will 20sq/ft be enough to cover my whole trunk? it's a '96 Taurus.

*Edit* I was thinking 36sq/ft would do it.

Edited by Madrox

No vote from me.. I used stinger Roadkill & overkill..

Very good stuff..

Peace troy

do NOT use eDead, my window is fudgeed up again because of it

Do use eDead. I have 250 sq ft of V1SE2. I love it and haven't gotten it anywhere I didn't want it. It's easy to install because it's flexible and easy to work with. It comes in rolls so you can cut it into 12" x 12" pieces and installation becomes a breeze. You only pay for what you want since it comes rolls which means if you want 13 sq. ft., 130 sq. ft., or 1300 sq. ft. then you can order it that way. It's one of the lesser expensive options. Works about the same as Dynamat Xtreme as far as perfomance. I have used both in my car and removed the Dynamat to install eDead. And if all that isn't reason enough to use it, I have had it installed for going on 2 years and not once have I had a piece peel off, come loose, melt away, start stinking, become brittle, or get on my window. eDead V1SE2 FTMFW!!!!!!!!

Pretty ambitious person to remove a sound deadener to install another type of the same thing...

It looks like SecondSkin took the win. Question about it. Is the Damplifier Pro worth the Extra 30 something odd dollars even though I will not be entering into any competitions? Also will 20sq/ft be enough to cover my whole trunk? it's a '96 Taurus.

*Edit* I was thinking 36sq/ft would do it.

well damp pro is thicker... its up to you (i have the pro version but i didnt order the regular so i cant compare)

It looks like Regular Damplifier would work for me since it is butyl and its affordable to me. and I dont know if this would work but If I wanted to add more, couldnt I always just add more layers of Damp to the already existing Damp?

Yes you can. My doors on my Cobra have 2 layers of spectrum, 2 layers of damplifier, and 1 layer of ensolite.

Yes you can. My doors on my Cobra have 2 layers of spectrum, 2 layers of damplifier, and 1 layer of ensolite.

Is there anything you have to do to add more layers of Damp..... like squeeze out all air pockets or anything?

Pretty ambitious person to remove a sound deadener to install another type of the same thing...

Well I didn't really remove the Dynamat by itself. I cut a lot of sheet metal out of my car for my install. The sheet metal had two laters of Dynamat Xtreme on it. Only about 30 percent of the car was done at the time. Basically from the rear seat and throughout the trunk. When i did my most recent install I used eDead instead and I like it so much better than the Dynamat. Obviously I saw improvement in the areas that had no deadener to begin with but after having the trunk done in Dynamat then going to eDead i was very impressed.

Is there anything you have to do to add more layers of Damp..... like squeeze out all air pockets or anything?

you should squeeze the air pockets out anyway

I guess I will have to buy some Damplifier.... I ordered some Fatmat 3 weeks ago, before I knew it wasnt an ideal choice, andit still has not arrived. I am pretty p1$$3D off at the moment about it. There number 1-866-4-Fatmat is a hoax, All my emails to them are returned due to some error. So........ Second skin it is.

anyone got some really good places that have good prices on the top picks (second skin and Raammat)

and can anyone suggest a certain model number they got a chit load of xt xlt v60 etc etc stuff...

just point me to some good stuff from both companies...

Edited by theabunai

just point me to some good stuff from both companies...

RAAMmat is sold directly, just Google them.

second skin is straight up damp and damp pro... pro is thicker and more expensive

I will try and do a side by side pick of Damp vs. Dynamat extreme. My Damp will be here Wednesday.

I will try and do a side by side pick of Damp vs. Dynamat extreme. My Damp will be here Wednesday.

Top to bottom: RAAMmat. Dynamat Xtreme, Hushmat, Damplifier, Damplifier Pro, ED v1

Edited by Rudy

Top to bottom: Dynamat Xtreme, Damplifier, Damplifier Pro

dx_damp.jpg

Thank you for those images.

I have fatmat in my car. It is still stuck on my trunk lid - 3 layers. I haven't had any problems with it falling off panels. The customer service is the worst part. I bought it on ebay. It took almost a month and some complaints to get the product to my door.

With that said, fatmat wouldn't be my first choice.

Damp pro looks like the one to get. Is the pro version worth the extra money?

Definitely very nice stuff - ideal if you want to just do a single layer. If you want to take some time with it and be precise, a good argument could be made that regular Damplifier is a better value. You will never use more than you need and 2 layers of Damplifier > 1 layer of Damplifier Pro - thicker and more foil. You really can't go wrong either way. Pro makes it really hard to use a lesser product after you use it.

yup after getting my damp pro in ill agree i wouldnt want to use anything else... hey don what do you think about the damp pro foil? i was surprised when i saw how sharp the stuff was

yup after getting my damp pro in ill agree i wouldnt want to use anything else... hey don what do you think about the damp pro foil? i was surprised when i saw how sharp the stuff was

It's good. The only other products I know of with a 4mil foil are Dynamat Xtreme and Cascade VB-Max. ED UE claims 5 mils, IIRC, but it isn't all foil, it's like 1 mil foil with 4 mils of plastic. I know it's shocking that they would get a spec "wrong" :)

The thicker and stiffer the foil, the better it works, both as a vibration damper and as a barrier. It will cut the hell out of your hands, but you know you've done your best when you shed actual blood to get better sound. Worth the sacrifice.

Then Damp Pro it is.... I just gotta figure how much I'll need. One layer of Damp Pro be enough? I am pretty damn positive that I could get better customer service from two def monkeys stuck in a well in Alaska. Anyway, This is a good topic I started, I'm so proud. Is it worthy enough to be Pinned? lol.