Mike P.

IXL-18.4 Build

My subs have arrived!

P6280001.jpg

CD on dustcap to show how big this thing is!

P6280002.jpg

Comparison pics. IXL beside a Pioneer TS-W384 15 inch woofer.

P6280004.jpg

P6280005.jpg

P6280003.jpg

P6280006.jpg

I'll be starting my sub build pretty soon. I'll be going with 12 cubic feet tuned to 16 hz. This is a lot of sub for the money. I'm looking forward to getting these subs built and installed in my home theater!!!!

It looks like the IXL is going to eat the Pioneer.

I finally got a chance to do some modelling with WinISD. The red is what my twin Shivas 12's produce and the green is what my twin Atlas 15's produce. Blue is what the IXL-18.4's will do in 12 cubic feet tuned to 16hz. Although the spl numbers are not representative of real in room response, it does allow for a comparison of different drivers. At 16hz the Shiva is 99db, the Atlas is 108db and the IXL is 114db. My next project will be to figure out the R.E.W. program and see exactly what my Shiva's and Atlases are really producing in room and compare that to what the IXL's produce when I get them built. It should be interesting. One thing is for sure. There is some serious low end bass coming!!!!!!!!! :woot:

Sub.jpg

Good stuff. Keep us posted..

Anything new?

Hi vito. Nothing new as of yet. I work away from home 7 days at a time, so I'm only home every second week. I have a lot of family commitments this summer as everyone plans for when I'm at home. There is more to do then I figured. I'm guessing 6 to 8 weeks before I start my subs. Hopefully sooner then later. And what have you been up to lately?

Mike

I'm having someone design a box. Once I get cordinated, I'll start building. :woot:

Edited by vitod

I finally finished my IXL 18.4 HT subs. I went with 12 cubic feet tuned to 16 hz. Here are a few pics of the build.

Case contruction.

PC310007.jpg

Bracing.

PC310009.jpg

PC310010.jpg

Foam lining installed.

P1010011.jpg

Test fitting the triple ports. The sub magnet butts up against the center horizontal brace.

P1010012.jpg

Final assembly.

P1070014.jpg

Subs in place along the back wall of my HT.

P1080017.jpg

Next is grill construction. I glued scraps from the build into a 24 inch square 1.5 inches thick. I cut the inside circle just a hair smaller then the diameter of the sub. I sanded it until it snuggly fit over the sub. The sub frame is 1 inch wide and the outside is rounded over with a 3/4 inch round over bit.

P1080023.jpg

Test fit on the sub.

P1080025.jpg

Painted the grill frame flat black. I had some stretchy grill cloth from a previous build.

P1080029.jpg

Hot glued the fabric onto the grill frame and trimmed off the excess.

P1090031.jpg

Final product.

P1090032.jpg

Grills installed.

P1090033.jpg

Painted the port screws flat black. All done!

P1090034.jpg

Retired Shiva sonotubes.

P1090036.jpg

I also have a pair of Ascendant Audio Atlas 15's. one on each side of the couch. They are 10 cubic feet tuned to 17hz.

P1080018.jpg

From behind the couch looking forward. Now it's time to replace the RPTV with a projector. That will be my next project.

P1090044.jpg

I have always wondered what it would be like to have enough low end. I don't have to wonder anymore. These subs are awesome. The Atlas subs "strained" at loud passages on movies. With the IXL's now added to the pack, the bass is effortless! What a difference! I'm loving it! Thanks Mark for such a great product!

Wow! I love that build Mike! That must have taken you a fair bit of time to get done.

I think I will post a link to other forums and tell them to come here to check this out.

Thanks for sharing.

Wow, very nice work. I am confused, you retired the Shiva's and added the IXL's, so does that mean you have the Atlas' still playing? If so what are your crossover points?

It looks like the IXL is going to eat the Pioneer.

i was thinking the same thing...

wicked looking sub :)

Thanks for the compliment. Yes, Atlases and IXL's all work together. Crossovers are at 80hz for all of them.

Here's something to try Mike:

Throw the Atlas' behind your couch and reverse the polarities. Fire up some nice bass-heavy music and light some incense (or a smoke). Then watch the air move between you. :D

There's enough air moving right now as it is! When sitting in the middle of the couch and a bass note hits, it's like being physically punched in the chest! Life is good! :D

Absolutely beautiful build

Love it.

Nice set-up and pictures. I am thinking of getting two of these drivers and making two sonotubes so I'm wondering - why did you choose the boxes you did rather than going for bigger sonotubes like the ones you had?

Cheers,

Blue

Nice set-up and pictures. I am thinking of getting two of these drivers and making two sonotubes so I'm wondering - why did you choose the boxes you did rather than going for bigger sonotubes like the ones you had?

Cheers,

Blue

Hi Blue, I built boxes so I could use them as stands for the other speakers. There wouldn't have been enough room to fit everything in if I built tubes. If you get these IXL-18's, I guarantee you'll be impressed!