growin' pains

Newb needs a lot of help

I got a couple hundred bucks to burn and want to see what I can do with my leased 2003 Jetta. I will want to keep the stock headunit in (will it still be possible for the system to be good?). Speakers, amp, and sub is basically what I will be limited to. Can I make something happen on a $300 budget? Are bazookas/powered subs total crap? I don't want cheap sounding, ground shaking bass. I would say I'm looking for 65% clarity and 35% power

I wouldn't budget my system to $300. I'd take the $300 and start to build on a system. I highly suggest replacing the stock head unit first. Its going to clean up your speakers...and give future subwoofer amps a clean output.

you can change out your head unit even if its a lease. just dont cut ne wires and just use T-taps

i'd just buy a harness to replace the h/u...then it's just plug and play....

but kickin is right..start with the h/u for the $300...u'll notice a definite improvment over factory...then budget another $300-$400 later for a good sub amp and sub...though with that kind of budget, don't expect to set world records, but u will sound real good with a quality sub and amp..and it can be done for that.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee:slayer:

I would have to disagree with you guys on the h/u. on newer cars especially a 2003, i really see no need to buy a newer H/u...

Besides on some of these new cars you can't change ur stereo because of some eanti theft device that doesn't allow you to wrok the readio or something like that, SO you will end up taking it to a shop to have them do it for u or u can call the dealer and figure out the way around it.

Main Point here,, Stock radios are not always bad...

Newer cars don't sound bad, the reason is...he'd like to add amp's to his car. I have not seen a stock H/U with sub-outs on them....till then....replace the factory H/U and the security stuff isn't that big of an issue.

Then again you dont always need to run rca's straight from ur H/U either :P

true..u could always t-tap into speaker wires and add a line out convertor....

so for $300...a magnum 12d2...and a hifonics 500d....and a line out convertor

well, he should be real close to the $300.....

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

well actually stock head units are ok for just listening to music, but imo aftermarkets are better. equalizers pre-amps... stuff like that.