damonhargroves07

(4) Q18's Walled **opinions needed**

i currently have a 1997 mercury mountaineer with 2 q18's. i plan on walling it off behind the second seat with 4 q 18's. heres the problem i run into...the depth from top to bottom of the center of the back is 37.5-38 inches tall. but at the very back where the hatch shuts it drops to about 30 or less inches roughly. how would i go about building a wall with the subs on the same plane and port as well. i wanted to do the port in the middle with a pair of 18's on each side. but how would i get my box in. i want to avoid the pacman style boxes if at all possible. please help thanks. i know there are others out there with their explorers which is the same thing running 4 18's.thanks in advance

I for 4 BTL 18s in a wall in my Expedition, but Its a pacman style box. Subs on top and bottom, with port in the center.

Just be careful if you do decide to do a pacman box. Mounting heavy subs upside down sucks!

no way to tell unless you build both and test them. Just because two sound waves hit each other doesn't mean they'll cancel each other out.

Exactly how much stuff are you taking out? I imagine if you remove the back seat cushion, you'd gain enough space to mount 4 18s with a vertical slot port.

That means you'd have to build the box in the car.

thats what im staying away from! i dont want to take stuff out. and the bask seat cushion is on the front of the seat. im not taking any seats out. its behind the 2nd row of seats. im gonna build 2 boxes and stack them with 2 different ports since im running 2 t20001bd's instead of 1 t40001bd. easier to buy another rather than sell and buy. im gonna build the first box and stack the second on top so i can fit them in w/o building in my car. after that illpanel it off and but the amps and batteries in the back. any more input on this?

i ran into problems with my wall in my 97 explorer, its walled behind the front seats, and if you look at your roof, the headliner dips down a few inches in each side, so its lower than the center part of the headliner.

i didnt notice this, so we had a hard time getting the sides of the wall in. lol

deff post pics when you start though, i want to see it

also, you should be able to build the box inside the car, and just top before the back of the headliner starts to curve down. i build mine inside the truck piece by piece, its hard, but it can be done.

i noticed you said you arent taking any seats out.

does that mean permantely, or you dont even want to take them out to build the wall, then put them back in?

Edited by pimpedout97x

this really has nothing to do with your 4 18's post but i would like some information from you if you would be s nice :)

1 - what size is the box for your 2 18's?

2 - are they ported?

3 - is the mountaineer a 4 door or 2 door model (dont even know if mercury makes the 2 doors like ford does)

im thinking of doing 2 18's ported in a explorer sport and been researching and gathering info. anyway you can relay some of it to me? im from ca.com by the way. sorry, hope you dont mind me posting this

i dont mind at all! its a 4 door. i have 2 18's ported right now in 10 cubes tuned to 30 hz. it slams!!! powered by a rockford t20001bd. and pimped out i am leaving the seats in permanently. i have changed my mind. im waiting on my other 2 18's b4 the build but i am not doing a pacman. im just doing 2 rectangular boxes together to look like a wall.that way i can put one box in and slide it all the way forward and get the other box in and stack them then carpet and panel off and no one will be able to tell! i didnt notice if the roof slopes down on the sides like it does in the back but if it does ill just have to compensate. thanks!