Sign in to follow this  
AK4900PA

SSA GCON vs ???

I'm looking to install a single 10" subwoofer under the rear seat of my '18 Ram 2500. The enclosure is sealed with a gross volume of 0.8 cubic feet.  The amp hasn't been purchased yet, but I'm leaning heavily toward the new Sundown SFB1000D which would provide 1k watts at 2ohms.  I'm looking for sound quality while still having the ability to get reasonably loud.  I listen to rock, metal and rap.

I'm about to pull the trigger on a 10" GCON, but I'd like to get opinions on any other subs I should be looking at before ordering.  Budget is <$400.

I would pull the trigger on the GCON, I would probably recommend the ICON if it was available in 10" right now but it isn't. You will really enjoy the GCON with the goals you listed. Are you building the enclosure or having it made? 

Been doing a bit more research and I'm also considering the DC Audio Level 3 and Incriminator Audio Lethal Injection.  Still leaning toward the GCON.  It's funny you mention the ICON because honestly I would have already ordered one if they made it in a 10" variety.

As far as the enclosure, I'll be ordering an underseat enclosure from a company called Net Audio here in Texas.  Its constructed of a fiberglass section molded to the floor and an MDF top.  They have a variety of sizes available, but the particular one I'm looking at provides 0.8 cubic feet.

Screenshot_20200624-111015~2.png

Screenshot_20200624-111026~2.png

They also make a slightly taller and longer enclosure that has 1.4 cubic feet of gross space which I would imagine would work well with a 12" ICON, but it puts the sub right up against the bottom of the seat so Im assuming I'd only be able to use the sub when the seat is folded up.

Consider modeling the subs in that enclosure, see how they perform. 

18 hours ago, lithium said:

Consider modeling the subs in that enclosure, see how they perform. 

Is there an app that can do that?  

Ok, found one.  To be perfectly honest I'm not really sure what I'm looking for, but here are the graphs it gave me for 0.4, 0.8 and 1.2 cubic foot boxes.

Screenshot_20200625-190406.png

Screenshot_20200625-190315.png

Screenshot_20200625-190245.png

I'm kinda bored, I'll throw them in winISD real quick. 

So I just threw these in winISD, I only entered t/s parameters and skipped EM and Large signal stuff, not sure if the matters. DC might have a little bit more output above 35hz but the gcon and LI can go a bit lower. 

gcon is red, LI is blue, DC is black

I used 0.8 cu ft for each and 1000 watts for the spl plot. 

transfer function

image.png.88850516fd1c2ee2771228a221ed686b.png

spl on 1kw, DC is like 1-2 dB louder over a small range. Not sure if you would hear much of a difference. Other subs can play a bit lower

image.png.a3e8611afce374eb965b6220b08348ac.png

TS parameters if anyone wants to double check my work

dc

image.png.9be896860c2a76387b2601ac19c8ed66.png

IA 

image.png.83f2b9a1ece798eaaf6006e74fdbd034.png

SSA

image.png.ad0b128bbd365ef7d2dd21fd675a6d14.png

Thank you.  The GCON looks like my best bet out of those three.  I'd prefer the low end extension at the expense of a small increase in SPL up higher.