wasted911

SPL 12 issue

well I recently got an SPL 12 and I was doing some "breaking in" with the wall outlet. well the top layer of paper on the cone started seperating from the rest, and the cap eventually came off during regular use. My question is: Do I recone using mach 5 parts, or should I look for a tougher recone? Also, until I recone I will continue to use the woofer (gluing the cap back on) until I've decided.

One more question directed at Mark. Is there any way that you could get different cones in?

So.... you bought a brand new SPL 12 and then put 120 volts into it to "breaking it in" nice. Do you normally buy new things and purposely destroy them?

Edited by patented17

Oh no. I hope this is not serious. I put the prototype well to its mechanical limits and never had an issue.

Ok, can I ask you some questions please?

How did you wire the coil(s)?

How long was it in the socket for?

You say the top layer of paper came off. Can I assume the voice coil/cone joint is still Ok?

Can you shoot me a PM with your real name so I can verify an SPL-12 sale?

Thanks,

Mark

You say the top layer of paper came off. Can I assume the voice coil/cone joint is still Ok?

Thanks,

Mark

it was wired in parallel, maybe 1-2 second bursts, with about 10 seconds between.. probably a total of 10 burps. Everytihng is mint other than the cone. I'm going to try a glue that was recommended to me by DB Don tomorrow. If all goes well, I'll most likely be purchasing a few more of the woofers.

I was also wondering if this has happened before. I find there's no better way to find out the weak spot on a sub then giving it all she can take.

Thanks,

Mark

it was wired in parallel, maybe 1-2 second bursts, with about 10 seconds between.. probably a total of 10 burps. Everytihng is mint other than the cone. I'm going to try a glue that was recommended to me by DB Don tomorrow. If all goes well, I'll most likely be purchasing a few more of the woofers.

I was also wondering if this has happened before. I find there's no better way to find out the weak spot on a sub then giving it all she can take.

So you gave it over 14,000 watts and are asking why it started to fail?

So you gave it over 14,000 watts and are asking why it started to fail?

I am wondering why it was that part of it that failed. I had an old Kicker Solo (round) last a hell of a lot longer than the mach 5.

Now don't get me wrong, in no way am I comparing the two. But I would like to see Mark understand the problem I have, and possibly fix the first thing that had failed. More than likely I will be buying more of these woofers. And I don't plan on getting anything fixed under warranty (unless it actually is a manufacturers defect).

Wired in parallel....hopefully not free air too? That would be a recipe for disaster for sure.

If there's no serious damage and it's just a case of the dustcap falling off, that's simple to fix. Any CA glue should do the trick (findable at hobby shops and such). Of course, Don should be able to help you too.

yeah....14,000 watts is a lot to take for a burp. lol wow.

did you do this free air??

it was in an enclosure that is 1.75 cubic feet after displacements tuned to 53 hertz

yeah....14,000 watts is a lot to take for a burp. lol wow.

did you do this free air??

it was in an enclosure that is 1.75 cubic feet after displacements tuned to 53 hertz

and for the record.. I guess the coils can handle 14000 watts.

Ease off on him guys. He's into hard core SPL so he's looking for something that will stand up to the pounding. I requested that he plug the unit into the wall socket and walk away...

Let the fun begin. :)

Guest zedman
So.... you bought a brand new SPL 12 and then put 120 volts into it to "breaking it in" nice. Do you normally buy new things and purposely destroy them?
haha wall soket to break in a sub, wow new one to me.
:wtf:

So your goal is to find a sub that will survive the wall socket break in?

I wish we had the option to ban for stupidity.

It would seem that the people that are quoted above who jumped on the stupidity :gheybandwgn: or suggested :ban2: owes this gentleman an apology. I suggest this because he was doing what was talked about between him and a manufacturer. Z

it wasnt talked about until after post 16.. I completely understand where you guys are coming from though. It is a stupid idea to put a woofer to the wall socket first thing.. But it's a sink or swim world.

If it had blown right aways, I would have probably gone with a different woofer. But we'll see what the socket has in store for it now.

Now now, the socket treatment is not normally done, hence all of the reactions. Since he has gone this far with his testing, I have asked him to continue until there is an end to things - whether good or bad.

Hopefully, no homes will be burned down because of this.

Best,

Mark

Guest zedman
haha wall soket to break in a sub, wow new one to me.
:wtf:

So your goal is to find a sub that will survive the wall socket break in?

I wish we had the option to ban for stupidity.

It would seem that the people that are quoted above who jumped on the stupidity :gheybandwgn: or suggested :ban2: owes this gentleman an apology. I suggest this because he was doing what was talked about between him and a manufacturer. Z

It seems I have been corrected and I am retracting my request for an apology. But it was a good use of emoticons don't you think?

No worries. Everyone is entitled to his/her opinion. Folks may say its crazy to do such things, they themselves are probably wondering how well the driver performed under such conditions. :)

Bedtime...

I've wall socketed an old school 12W6 with ~4800 watts. It's fun. If you just burp it the coils should be fine.

The 12W6 surprisingly handling a 4800 watt burp free air on the ground for 30 seconds.

dustcap probably just blew off because of the immense pressure from being burped with 14000 watts!!!! lol

Tough little bugger