Sign in to follow this  
haydenlake

Updated Project pics

I'll skip to how this box sounds since that is probably what most of you are wondering about. To initially demo the sub (kove armaggedon Z) I put it in a sealed 1.3 cubic foot box just to get a bearing on how it sounds. I'm using a nice dvd player, horrible receiver (I have no idea where the xover is set but it sounds high like 150) and a Tapco J2500 pro amp 2500wrms at 4ohm. I ran through my normal sound quality music at low levels to both break in the subs and just zero my ears to quite volumes. While playing Claude Chaloub's self title cd I noticed the sub seamed to peak in the 50's and 60's (which yes could be that sealed box) it also seamed to sound a bit dry in terms of blending into the rest of the system (to me this means that the distortion the sub produced was a noticibly higher than the actual note the sub was trying to reproduce (think JL audio distortion here). After a few songs from Chaloub I moved into Nickebacks latest cd which seams to be recorded better than most rock cd's I own and on track two there is this supper low note that just comes from nowhere (and with the Kove in the sealed box I could barely hear it) keep in mind this note is probably upper 20's. The note on this song absolutely slams on my Imaged Dynamics in a Transmission line but it is not loud in any sealed box set up I have). The kickdrums on Nickleback sounded great and really punchy (maybe helped by the super stuff suspension) but they had far more distortion than I am accustomed to when listending to my RLp or my Max. The Kove's don't like to go to low but the suspension seams to be able to keep everthing in line in both freeair testing as well as sealed box frequency sweeps.

Moveing on to the Wicked One

-No matter how good the design of the box (which I honestly think WO's are amazing) you are never really going to overcome a mediore speaker in terms of SQ. SPL out of this thing is fairly impressive, when I stand outside of my house (1000sqft) the entire thing rattles iike the trunk of a honda. Since I built this box to just hammer during parties it should work fine but I wouldn't consider listening to it at any length in my own environment. My other WO with much better sq drivers (ads 3 series) sounds worlds better and I'm not even done with tweaking it. The 8's easily go as low but they are not as loud (nor do they have as much distortion). If you put your head in the port of the Kove's at low fq's it parts your hair and blurs your vision, I can't do it without squinting my eyes.

merry xmas

b

Edited by haydenlake

Looks sweet, I assume the horn will fire off to the side since there will be a bar on top? Have you engineered a way to remove the subs/switch them out without destroying the enclosure?

Oh, and I wouldn't carry that up a dry driveway. Get some help!

looks mean so far

Looks sweet, I assume the horn will fire off to the side since there will be a bar on top?  Have you engineered a way to remove the subs/switch them out without destroying the enclosure?

Oh, and I wouldn't carry that up a dry driveway.  Get some help!

Yeah the option of glueing the last large pannel is not an option bc if I ever need to get to it again I would be up the creek. So I used a fairly thin foam that is 3/4" wide then run that all over the pannels then screw it to hell.

My other box I built like that and it doesn't leak even with only 3 crews on the sealed section.

a pair of RL-i 10's in that thing would be a very sweet coffee table idea