Sign in to follow this  
cobra65427289

Fiberglassing Project for RE 6.5's

I've decided to finally install my RE 6.5's after having them for about a year. I have been waiting to take some time off of work, but I haven't since last June so I took two whole weeks off :wacky: .

I tried two different methods for laying the molds. I first tried using painters tape to tape off the whole area for the drivers kick, when removing the mold taking off the tape seemed to be a pain and took forever to get off, not to mention the fact that all the tack on the tape came off on my hands and is still there 4 hours later. For the passenger kick I did the Foil method where I just taped off the edges, this went much faster than laying down 30 strips of tape. Also when the molding was removed the foil came right off in one motion. From now on all fiberglass molds will be done with foil.

Anyways both driver and passenger molds are done, tomorrow I will be completing the enclosures (more glassing, baffles, fleece, bondo hair, and regular boddy filling, we'll see if I have time to primer/paint).

Check back tomorrow, should have some pics up by 10:00 am central.

Edited by cobra65427289

Next time cover that foil in vaseline, it will be even easier. Of course, you could use something weird like Vicks Vapo Rub too, but just beware what else you substitute VapoRub for Vaseline for.

but just beware what else you substitute VapoRub for Vaseline for.

*cringes*

*cringes*

It won't hurt you....

*cringes*

It won't hurt you....

Neither will Bengay :ehh:

Anyways here are the molds

dscf03634bn.th.jpg

Traced out

dscf03725mb.th.jpg

Test Fitting

dscf03737pk.th.jpg

Thats it for now, I'm going back to the garage.

baffles and molds cut/trimmed

dscf03742ei.th.jpg

baffles mounted, ready for fleece

dscf03759ff.th.jpg

I'm getting there!:D

baffles fleeced and resined.

dscf03764ui.th.jpg

Almost ready for another coat of resin. YAY!

Oh, that dry looking fleece is just excess hanging around the edges, I figured it would be easier to trim when everything was all dry, then i could just whack it with the scissors and get all the close chit with my dremel.

This is also my first fiberglass experience. woohoo!

Edited by cobra65427289

Dried, Trimmed, and time for a test fit.

dscf03781el.th.jpg

Tomorrow I start body filling, I hope I have time to primer and paint.

looks very nice for your first time

keep up the good work and keep those pics coming

Looks great, especially for your first. If you haven't, make sure you reinforce the fleece a bit those RE's will make it flex otherwise.

Thanks for the compliments guys.:)

I deffinitely plan on glassing the inner walls and bottom of the kicks some more, I've gone through almost a gallon of resin on these things. They should be strong as hell.

So far I haven't even motivated myself to get in the shower this morning. For some reason I'm just not productive if I don't shower. Oh well, maybe after I get burned out on the net. probably in the next 15 minutes.

Keep and eye out for more pics, bondo hair, and body filler today. I hope to get some painting done too.

looks great, keep the pix coming they are always fun

To make it easier on yourself and use a bit less resin, try mopping the resin onto the mat on a piece of cardboard and then transferring it to the kicks. Push it down with a wet brush and do the next piece. It is the mat that is strong not the resin, the resin is just heavy. Those are going to be sweet!

Its hard not to use alot of resin when you use alot of glass, Just the bottom is about 3 layers of fiberglass cloth. And the fleece soaked up a ton of resin.

anyways more pics

body filler applied to this one

dscf03792bc.th.jpg

bondo hair applied to a wrinkle I just could not get streched out.

dscf03800lh.th.jpg

More to come.

Edited by cobra65427289

Sand the bondo before it gets too hard, believe me otherwise you really won't like doing it.

I just whacked it with the dremel, to get really close I did it by hand, wasn't all that bad. I've worked with bondo many times so this step was rellatively easy.

more pics

This is the first kick sanded down

dscf03817db.th.jpg

First kick primed

dscf03858qo.th.jpg

Bondo hair on second kick sanded

dscf03849us.th.jpg

Second kick with body filler

dscf03862od.th.jpg

There are a few small imperfections one the first kick that are a little noticeable since it is semi-glossy from the primer, however, I am not worried about them as the kicks are to be painted flat black to match some of the interior trim of the car, who knows, I might have to go pick up some automotive carpet somewhere and wrap em.

Edited by cobra65427289

things are moving along

more pics

second kick is ready to be primed

dscf03888sc.th.jpg

both kicks primed

dscf03893aw.th.jpg

both kicks painted

dscf03913px.th.jpg

thats it for now, I'm not really that happy with the little imperfections that showed up. Oh well, I think they look ok atleast, and they are functional. There is always carpet as an option. Hopefully I will have them in the car wangin tomorrow.

Finally they are installed, and they sound awesome. Before even with the crossover set on my alpine I couldn't go past 18 without the bass distorting my speakers. I removed the rear speakers, and disconnected the fronts. I would have removed the fronts as well but the grill was glued to the door panel, and the door panel was glued to the door. Woot for chevy malibus which are so easy to work with :rolleyes:

Anyways more pics.

Stuff going in.

dscf03963xl.th.jpg

Blown rear speaker, somehow (geeee, I dunno) the voice coil severed completely about 3/4 through it. It sounded like it was slapping the stuck piece of coil that had been severed.

dscf03972ka.th.jpg

Passenger kickpanel

dscf03996yx.th.jpg

Driver kickpanel

dscf04003af.th.jpg

The kicks really do sound great. Clean and crisp midbass, the tweeters aren't the best I've heard but are far from the worst. I'm happy with the soundstage, It sounds pretty cool. I can only expect better results when I fiddle around with time correction a little.

RE tweets are harsh.. :D

nice work