j-roadtatts

J-Roadtatts Honda Accord Build

Horray!!! I sold the type rrrrrrrr 12" sub and box finally. I can always use more money for this project!wink.gif

Anyways I got the box done today!!! dancingsmilie.gif Dry fitted the box in the car and every thing is Perfect, seeing as I dont have a 1/4 inch to spare anywhere!!! The spare tire still comes out!!!biggrin.gif So then I took the box apart and glued the half together that I can do outside the car. Don't worry I have pictures but I am getting ready to entertain some dinner guest so give me a couple hours and I will post them for you picture whores.

yay.. picturessss!

:partybanana:

Edited by mbarber25

Damn, thats a crazy looking enclosure. Nice wood work dude.

Math, Math, Math, Math, Math.....

Thanks.

damn.

nice work. smile.gif

Thank you.

I will be Fiberglassing the inside in the morning.smile.gif

This is as together as the box gets until its in the trunk.

med_gallery_10399_356_336652.jpg

fiberglassing at 20 degrees outside!!!

med_gallery_10399_356_323843.jpg

Fun Fun with No Sun!!!

Nice work! The box looks great, can't wait to see more!

Nice work. looks like you'll be slammin soon. trink40.gif

I am trying to repoduce home audio sound quality, So this should be a VERY SOLID base for the sub stage!!!

I like ALOT of headroom But if I want to feel the energy transfer I CAN!!!

Looks like a lot of fun. I see you have a bubble buster there too. Quite the badass tool if you ask me. Its a must in a couple different sizes when doing fiberglass.:drink40:

pretty sweet box, keep up the good work! cant wait to see this thing done.

i have read multiple opinions about the glass on the inside of the box, regarding to how it might affect the sound.

do you have any words of wisdom on it?

in short i see spl guys likeing it more than sq, saying that to mention, obviously, you are after sq.

the creative approach on the port, the glass work, the goals in mind, and fab work on the trunk leads one to believe this is going to be a sweet build log to the end.

what deadening will you be doing again and how much of it?

looking good,

chop

i have read multiple opinions about the glass on the inside of the box, regarding to how it might affect the sound.

do you have any words of wisdom on it?

in short i see spl guys likeing it more than sq, saying that to mention, obviously, you are after sq.

the creative approach on the port, the glass work, the goals in mind, and fab work on the trunk leads one to believe this is going to be a sweet build log to the end.

what deadening will you be doing again and how much of it?

looking good,

chop

Honestly I never thought about the glass effecting sound. Like I said this is my first box design and build.

The reasons I did use the glass is to make the box extra ridged, guarantee no air leaks, and raise the boxes failure point. Also I just like playing with glass.

I have never heard an FI product or a BTL for that matter. I found this forum a year ago through Fi's website and everyone keeps saying "its all in the enclosure". So I built the biggest, baddest box I could think of.

I enjoy building with my hands and definetly like to build things HEAVY DUTY.

I would love to hear reasons why the glass is bad or good. The reason I am making this build log is to get CRITICIZED and told what I am doing wrong. I am no master and am just trying to do this build to the best of my abilities from what I've seen and learned. Please be as brutal as you guys have to be to tell me what I am doing wrong, I am a fast learner.

As far as the Dampener I have 60 sq ft and the Luxury liner I have 4 sheets. I plan on dampening everything except the trunk because it will be sealed off with foam. The liner will start as far up the front floor as I can get it, front side of the rear wheel wells, and the front doors for starters. I will buy more when needed. I only listen at full tilt on the highway, and hate road noise. I don't bump in town, but hate hearing people and noises from outside my car. I would buy a BMW or Caddy for the quiet ride but would hate to chop up a luxury car.

Loving the build man! I was thinking of doing something similar for my enclosure in the future because of my weird trunk shape, but I just don't think I have the skills to make it. I'm very excited to see the results!

i am the wrong fellar to be brutal, lol, not much more than a noob.

i have , like i said, read several times over of the resonance of the box being changed when glass is added.

something to do with how the wave reacts to it. sorry, i am hoping that someone will pitch in here, i would like to hear what a pro has to say.

i will search around a little and see what i find.

the big , strong box part, i will be attempting to put alot more time and patiance into the next one i build.

i could not believe mine had so much flex to it. i really did think it would of been strong enough.

seen you were looking at aero ports for the next one, they are sweet looking!

chop

i bet it took awhile for that fiberglass to harden due to the temperature

Actually Fiberglass resin cures by a chemical reaction and creates its own heat. The resin Got rock hard in about an hour. Yeah I just said rock hard...lol.

If you want to build things Heavy Duty then fiberglass isn't the solution, but bracing is. Look up the matrix bracing on B&W's speakers and see how it should be done if you are truly into overboard mode. Resin will weaken mdf, not strengthen it. It will help you get louder perhaps, but regularly an unbraced floppy box is louder than a well built one from an SPL perspective.

If you want to build things Heavy Duty then fiberglass isn't the solution, but bracing is. Look up the matrix bracing on B&W's speakers and see how it should be done if you are truly into overboard mode. Resin will weaken mdf, not strengthen it. It will help you get louder perhaps, but regularly an unbraced floppy box is louder than a well built one from an SPL perspective.

So a little flex is possibly a little smoother or "warmer" sounding?

Won't be smoother, won't be warmer, just perhaps louder. Either way it won't be an audible difference.