altoncustomtech

Pics of the engines I work on and with...

Here's some more pictures of the engine parts.  We had coolant leak into the oil in the engine.  Upon making some inspections we found where some coolant looked as though it had leaked around one of the engine liners and caused our issue.  This week we tore into the engine to repair the issue.  What we found was a crack in the liner where one of the O-Rings that seals it inside the block goes around it.  I got some pictures today of the piston and liner outside of the engine and I'll post a few up of the signs we found that showed us we had an issue with this particular liner (#5 cylinder) and then I'll get some pictures up of some other interesting stuff like the oil filter system for these engines and the 96 filters it holds inside the filter housing.

Here's the evidence we found of the coolant leak inside the engine a couple of weeks ago.  You can see the greenish-yellow staining around the bottom of the liner and rust on the bottom of the piston skirt.

DSCF0069.jpg

DSCF0070.jpg

DSCF0071.jpg

DSCF0072.jpg

DSCF0073.jpg

Here's the old liner out of the engine block.  In the last couple of pictures you can make out the crack that was the source of our coolant leak issue.

DSCF0074.jpg

DSCF0075.jpg

DSCF0076.jpg

DSCF0077.jpg

Here's a few of the piston and connecting rod from out of the engine and the new liner behind it.

DSCF0078.jpg

DSCF0079.jpg

DSCF0080.jpg

DSCF0081.jpg

Here's some shots of the engine block where the liner came out of.  You'll notice just how nasty it got inside there around the liner thanks to that coolant leak.  Tomorrow one lucky member of our team will be climbing down inside, standing on the crank and cleaning all that mess up.  I'll try to get some pictures of that as well.

DSCF0082.jpg

DSCF0083.jpg

DSCF0084.jpg

DSCF0085.jpg

DSCF0086.jpg

DSCF0087.jpg

So there's some neat stuff not seen by the average person.  Let me know of there's any other aspect of the engines, plant, etc. you'd like to see.

I'll come down and clean that bitch!  I would be in heaven!

Okay, as promised here's some more pictures.  Got one of the where the liner belongs in the block after it was all cleaned up.  A few of a co-worker, we'll call him Bill because that's his name, greasing the hole so it's ready for the liner to slide in nice and smooth.  Then I got some of the oil filter housing, without and with new filters inside.  The last two pictures are of one half of the connecting rod bearing that we also replaced while doing this.

Here's the block and Bill.

DSCF0088.jpg

DSCF0089.jpg

DSCF0090.jpg

DSCF0091.jpg

DSCF0092.jpg

DSCF0097.jpg

DSCF0098.jpg

Here's some of the filter housing before and after filters were installed.

DSCF0093.jpg

DSCF0094.jpg

DSCF0095.jpg

DSCF0096.jpg

DSCF0099.jpg

And here's the lower (cap side) half of the connecting rod bearing.

DSCF0100.jpg

DSCF0101.jpg