Sign in to follow this  
NDMstang65

SSD Enclosure Recommendations

SSD Series:

Available options and what they do:

Flatwound coil (+$20) – The flatwire coil option simply helps the power handling of the sub. The coil has more surface area to dissipate heat and will take more power then the regular round wire coil that comes in the ‘stock’ version of the sub. This option will also make the sub tend to be more prone to ‘peaking’ for a budget daily driving sub where you don’t have to use a ton of power to get maximum output and sacrifice sound quality a little bit.

Copper coil (now standard) – The copper coil is a heavier coil and adds mass to the moving assembly. In comparison to the stock coil, or the flatwound coil, this has the smoothest transitions musically speaking. It is less likely to peak, and is a better overall sub for more Sound Quality based daily drivers. This coil is now STANDARD on the SSD.

BP Power - This option adds a machined aluminum compression plug to the pole which helps channel all of the air under the dustcap around the coil for better cooling. To aid with this increased airflow we also add 6 axial cooling channels in the top plate. Along with increased thermal capacity comes the addition of an extra spider and a changed spider pack. All of these features increase power handling from 200-500 Watts depending on the application. 

Enclosures:

SSD 10 – We recommend using a sealed box in the neighborhood of .2-.6 cubic feet of volume (after all displacements for those wondering).

Ported box we recommend using .9-1.5 cubic feet @ 33Hz (this is optimal in our eyes and to our ears, you can tune 31-35hz fine if you so please)

SSD 12 – We recommend using a sealed box in the neighborhood of .8-1.6 cubic feet of volume (after all displacements for those wondering). I personally recommend 1.1 cubic feet of volume for the copper coil option SSD.

Ported box we recommend using 1.8-2.5 cubic feet @ 33Hz (this is optimal in our eyes and to our ears, you can tune 31-35hz fine if you so please)

SSD 15 – Ported box we recommend using 3-4 cubic feet @ 33Hz (this is optimal in our eyes and to our ears, you can tune 31-35hz fine if you so please) We are currently doing testing for sealed boxes, and I will post information if we think that it is ok to use sealed. Otherwise at this point stick to a ported enclosure.

SSD18 - Ported box we recommend using 6-10 cubic feet @ 33Hz (this is optimal in our eyes and to our ears, you can tune 31-35hz fine if you so please) We are currently doing testing for sealed boxes, and I will post information if we think that it is ok to use sealed. Otherwise at this point stick to a ported enclosure.

Pictures and cut sheets for some enclosures coming soon as i get time to re-do the forum again.

Here's a fairly in depth review of the SSD:

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/i...?showtopic=7157

New SSD Options

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/i...?showtopic=8161

SSD Review: Click the link in above post to follow the thread responses.

Chris has set the bar so my turn :lickscreen:

Set up and vehicle info

Vehicle - Scion tC hatchback 2007

Power - Stock Battery, Stock 100 amp Alt, Kinetik HC1400 In the rear

Amps - 2x US Amps MD.1D (RMS 1,000 watts avg. @ 13.6 V each sub @ 1ohm)

Sub woofers - 2x Fi 12" SSD D2 with copper coil option

Enclosure - Currently 1.05 cubic feet per sub (after all displacement)

Also Sealed enclosures used were 1.2 per sub and a ported 2.0 @ 33hz sloted

Sub placement - Facing UP in the rear hatch Also tried facing REAR of hatch

Subs I have used extensively - JL w6, Kicker Comps CVS/CVX, Infinity 12, JBL 12

the Review

First off, normal reviews just dive right into the subs "sound" or "performance" but, like Chris's review found @ Fi Q 12 Reviewed, I need to comment on the "buying" portion of the experience... After all it all ties into to total "EXPERIENCE" of the sub...

Pre-buying - First of all, Scott is the most patient man in car audio sales... gee i must've sent him 4 or 5 emails about the sub, some questions asked time and time again and the guy just kept answering them in such a professional yet friendly manner (like if he lived next door to me or something). already i'm feeling confident about getting this sub.

Purchase made - yupp went ahead and did it.... The tracking info was emailed to me with-in 24 hours with estimated date arrival (i'm sure this is a case by case basis). impressed and at ease knowing i can track my subs online...

Arrival - WOW they were packed so good, I was shocked at the care and attention to detail just the packing was done in. I felt confident already. (yes i saved the boxes in case i need to send them back for a recone or anything else that may come up ~ I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS). Subs were beautiful :takepix:

Now on the the MEAT...

500 watts per sub review NO electrical upgrades made-

So me and my buddies (all installers) decided to make 2 boxes. 2 sealed (1.2cuft & 1.0cuft) and 1 ported (see above).

We drop them in and hook them up to 2 rubicon 502 (500 Watts bridged for each sub, UNDER the subs RMS value of 800).

We tried all sub enclosures and to the EAR, the sealed 1.0 sounded the richest and deepest.

Holy mother of god they sounded so damn loud. I couldn't believe what i heard and felt...

With only 500 watts these thing pounded. you can feel your throat tickle and a little discomfort in your inner ear. I couldn't believe it...

Pros - The low end was utterly amazing with this sub and enclosure. 35-55 Hz were loud and very accurate. Not just BOOM but BOOOOOOOM low end dragging shake your booty bass.... LOUD and very evident that this sub loves to accentuate the low end of the scale...

Cons - For my enclosure and power the upper end 60hz - 100hz were played slightly softer than my previous subs. It wasn't as loud as the lower half and seemed to struggle to get the note out.

Now in comes the big guns. I didn't expect it to sound so good and the problem that this caused was i felt the freaking need to feed these things RMS. If they sounded this good a 500 watts (well more like 400 since my electrical wasn't upgraded and voltage would drop to 11.8 - 12V at times)

I went ahead and ordered the 2 1K watt amps (hey nick knows, Overhead isn't a BAD thing when played safely, cleaner signal since gains can be set lower).

1000 Watt per sub review - Battery in the back for sub amps..

does Fi know their subs or do they know their subs. all the people who ask "what should i make the box" "How much power" should really take into account the companies recommendations found on the site, cause what i thought was loud and low at 500 watts was NOTHING in comparison to 1000 watts. Jesus christ what a dramatic change. the sub was just so bad ass. the lows were just so clear and much louder,

the subs seemed to be in so much more control of its extension accuracy at this level.. I never thought that such a dramatic change could occur by feeding this thing it's recommended power. Not only did i hear a distinct improvement in everything from accuracy to sound but even the higher end frequencies seemd to come more "alive".... though still softer then the targeted 35-55 hz, the sub played the higher end with BETTER control with this wattage... It didn't sound like it was struggling to play the note anymore but rather played it effortlessly... Physical altercations, vibrating the throat and ear, hair moves, clothes move, with the windows up VERY uncomfortable pressure in the ear. Chest pounding... Just AWSOME..

Cons - Man i wish i could feed this thing more power. but that is not a performance issue. though i do wish that the flatwind coil AND copper coil could be incorporated together...

Pros - Unbelievable loudness and low end with this sub, Able to shine in ported AND sealed enclosures. Exhibits good control and accuracy even at high excursion. Best of all, I didn't have to sell ANY of my kids to get a pair !! :fing34:

Any questions let me know

Coming up

A big ALOHA goes out to Scott AKA Fi Car audio (I'm gonna break your patience one day LOL), Nick AKA NDMstang65 (i swear i go to you for everything LOL) and Shawn Flemming for just trolling these forums and helping everyone out......

Full review of the Ported enclosure with the new amps WOOT WOOT :thanx: