Fi Car Audio

Introducing Supergauss

how does this disign compare to an isobaric compound ? I'd think motor wise there would be some simularities ????

With the voice coils in tandem this design is more efficient than an iso-compound design. In addition the box would be a straight forward ported box. None of this box in a box crap. I'm not sure the air spring in an iso-compound box this really worth anything. I'm sure you can do something with it, but it would take extensive testing, meaning big $$. The result would be such a select box that it probably wouldn't work for any of us.

Is there another spider in between the two motors to avoid coil rock? That's got to be one hell of a pole piece. Is it vented? Definitely need a side view.

how does this disign compare to an isobaric compound ? I'd think motor wise there would be some simularities ????

With the voice coils in tandem this design is more efficient than an iso-compound design. In addition the box would be a straight forward ported box. None of this box in a box crap. I'm not sure the air spring in an iso-compound box this really worth anything. I'm sure you can do something with it, but it would take extensive testing, meaning big $$. The result would be such a select box that it probably wouldn't work for any of us.

Is there another spider in between the two motors to avoid coil rock? That's got to be one hell of a pole piece. Is it vented? Definitely need a side view.

please read the question again .

and the coil rocking is indeed also something I worried about...

yea there has to be some kind of spider somewhere to prevent a long coil from rocking

im sure scott got things figured out

I bet Scott is freaking out right now. . .Oh no, forgot about coil rock. . .Searching the internet for a solution. . .Slow down, take a deep breath. . .Try Bing if nothing comes up on Google. :D

please read the question again .

and the coil rocking is indeed also something I worried about...

The only similarities is that you have two motors driving one cone, but that is about it. With the iso-compund setup the two motors are still driving two cones, so one is not exactly concentrating all the motor force on one cone. In addition there are the issues on how to deal with the air spring between the two cones of the iso-compound setup. With extensive research you might be able to have an iso-compound box match the output of said driver in a ported box, but at what cost? Two drivers, a complicated box, research and testing? I'll pass and just try one SG1 in a ported box. Simple enough. Mind you this is all based on theory coming from a lurker. ;)

I am curious to know what industrial application would require such technology? An electric solenoid from hell? =]

AHAHAHA... love that. Google does all of my engineering :)

No reason not to have a 22" version of it. I have the "6 spoke" 22" designed, but think for sake of tooling cost (considering the 22" in this style basket will never be as big a seller as the 18 or 15) we will simply go with the original design I had for that series. Something I havent quite seen before, but we should have a cast version to play with in the next two weeks. We will decide from there if it will be worth the tooling cost.

Actually, no there is no secondary suspension to avoid coil rock in the pure SPL subs. So... I simply embraced it and did something else about it. Something that for SPL is all benefit. Problem with some things we do is that I dont want to give away the farm... or at least feel that if someone wants to figure out what is done, at least buy one...lol. We have spent lots of time testing and trying different things and have to figure if its worth mentioning exactly what is done and others picking up on it to use as well, vs not mentioning things and let them slowly pick up on it and then use it. ;)

We could have made significantly more motor force on the SMD than we have, but it simply isnt needed in a daily driver. We are currently testing the limits on just how much motor force is useful for SPL applications as well. We have some exceedingly high Gauss densities in SG2 and SG3 that arent seeing realistic gains any longer in SPL. It seems we are fairly well up into the point of diminishing returns with respect to motor force. Mentioning Gauss volumes really doesnt have any benefit to the consumer as its not a normal value, and Im sure a great many manufacturers dont use it either. We are currently testing with BL^2/Re figures of over 2800 which are almost a good order of magnitude better than most big daily subs. And that is by no means the limit of things either.

No vent on the poles for the SPL versions. Although the SMD could have a 2" vent and still not loose force, it just takes too long to bore out a 2" hole in a 4" core that is almost 8" long. We cant find 4"X2" tube in the correct material in the US. Otherwise we would use that and save the material and weight. Drilling a 1.5" hole (biggest bit I have to run that deep on the 32" swing lathe) then using a boring bar to clean it out to 2" is just a waste of machine time. Customer just gets to lift an extra 3lbs of steel ;)

No, although some solenoids have even higher values than that as they can run extreme tolerances and much better cooling. No, we use them for acoustics and noise control applications in very extreme industrial environments. About the most extreme application we have done was for a company that did some cut backs in the sonic fatigue dept and they no longer could run their 10k Gallon tank and the air valve system to test. So we came up with something smaller to test scaled parts for them.

So Is this a good SQ motor topology? or is it strictly SPL? you said no to a secound spider on the spl side of things does that mean you have a plan for a SQ sub with one?

Just have to add, every time I see the thread pop up I read it as: Introducing SuperGas and wonder what I have to eat to get it....err, what I already ate perhaps.

The driver looks impressive though. :)

Lol... while comical references abound for that, I wont be the one that starts them ;)

There is no reason why this cant be used for SQ applications at all. Not so much for the extreme motor force you can achieve, but simply to reduce the rear motor footprint in the airflow path. Or that it allows a similar set of soft parts to be used in a similar diameter motor, but now with heavy copper sleeving on the pole where that would have previously reduced motor force to an undersireable limit. It can be used in extreme underhung designs as well. No shortage of SQ uses as what SG does has nothing to do with the quality of sound, just a different way of achieving the desired motor force.

wow can't wait to see some sq subs with this topology a thick full sleeve of copper sounds great for heat dissapation and as a huge shorting ring... wish I could talk to you more about it but i know your a busy guy...

no pole vent is fine with me. i have no problem with the extra weight.

im extremely excited to acquire atleast 1 of these hopefully by december

If this subwoofer is as good as I think it is, then it is bigger than we all think. You think its wierd looking but thats how all great designs begin, with great discussion and opinions on both sides. Let me be the first to say this will be an amazing extreme spl woofer provided the cone,spider, neck and surround hold together. Scott I loved the XXX when you let that one loose, I have a new favorite I think.

0819091614jpeg.jpg

noone cares to comment on that crossfire sub ????? how is the AA design different ?

I was told by somebody at Crossfire The supergauss design was not supposed to be used for ***** *****! Don't have anymore details but thought it was interesting..

Seeing this side view. I begin to wonder if there are really two motors working in tandem. Without going into too much detail, could it be that there is one coil/split coil using the two center plates as the motor gap? Taking the conspiracy theory a step too far. Notice how the two center plates are separated? With magnets above and below these plates, could this be an attempt to extend the magnetic field? Did I go to far? If I'm never heard from again, you all have been great.

Seeing this side view. I begin to wonder if there are really two motors working in tandem. Without going into too much detail, could it be that there is one coil/split coil using the two center plates as the motor gap? Taking the conspiracy theory a step too far. Notice how the two center plates are separated? With magnets above and below these plates, could this be an attempt to extend the magnetic field? Did I go to far? If I'm never heard from again, you all have been great.

Haha, yeah you went to far, naw just playing. But I been wondering the same thing, not exactly worded how you put it but that design has me thinking.