PHATBOi

Anyone know why some MT motors are black and some chrome?

Anyone know why some MT motors are black and some chrome? Thanks.

US made vs. China made probably

Heard the black ones have more cooling, and a slightly larger gap for more power handiling.

Heard the black ones have more cooling, and a slightly larger gap for more power handiling.

That cooling philosophy is backwards, you want a tight gap to increase air velocity.

a loose gap is to accommodate for daily scenarios so the coil has some room to wiggle when the subwoofer becomes non linear.

Coil rock = bad for tight gap

Coil rock = bad for tight gap

In other things it's a good thing ;)

:attempt:

Yeah that makes sense cause I read somewhere the black ones where built for daily. Hence the better cooling and wider gap. Just trying to find out if anyone knows for sure. Seems like no one has even really heard of the black ones.

I've always wondered this myself.

I know the chrome are the original design, and the black ones came after US Amps bought RE.

Black motors had the gap enlarged by less than .25 mm to help with coil scrub. And that was only on the T-Yoke.

The MT will still take mega power and is now daily usable. We are currently working on a new 4 inch coil MT.

Black motors had the gap enlarged by less than .25 mm to help with coil scrub. And that was only on the T-Yoke.

The MT will still take mega power and is now daily usable. We are currently working on a new 4 inch coil MT.

Thanks for the reply. I am waiting on my recone from David at PSI right now, then my builder is going to build me a MT/PSI Hybrid 12D1.4 to run off my AP18001D in this:

180762_191978170826661_156931164331362_594511_5238869_n.jpg

Can't fuckin wait!