mklett33

Video Build Log - Fi BL - Rockford Fosgate - Focal - KnuKonceptz - Tip

Before you add your fleece if you run a 1/4" rabbet around your panels it'll make for a stronger bond and it'll allow you to keep the glass off of the top of your window area. That way you don't ruin the nice routing and it'll make it quicker to finish by minimizing filler.

Never mind saw the rabbet in above pics. Guess you just haven't trimmed the fleece in the pics yet.

By the way if you haven't gotten to the glass yet, use one solid piece instead of tearing your matt into pieces. It'll make it stronger and smoother. If your top layer is 1/2 ounce Matt topped with surface veil you should only need less than 1/2 cup of body filler to get that panel ready to wrap or paint.

Haha thanks for the tip but that is exactly what I did, watch the video above. I have tried doing one piece of glass before but actually find it more difficult to get it to lay flat. I like multiple pieces better. One of those things that there is no right or wrong way, just preference. Thanks for the comment though, its a fairly simple surface so I dont think its going to take much, but that is the intent behind the design, dont want ridiculous curves that are impossible to sand.

There is a right and wrong way to lay fiberglass. You don't see boats made from lots of torn up pieces. You must wet out the mat before applying it.

This pie e for example is 3 layers of mat. No filler just a light spray of cabosil.

m5044.jpg

This is the same piece after a light sanding preped for primer. Only about two tablespoons of filler was applied to the entire piece.

m5048.jpg

I like your videos. Not sure if you are using the GoPro mic or doing a voice over but on the last couple videos I could barely hear anything.

Also, what speed to you use for the plexi to keep it from melting? I tired it on mine and even with light pressure it wanted to melt.

Looking real good so far. I'm not a big fan of the streched fleece style usually but your approach of using it as a concaved dish instead of the typical ring poking up style looks much better.

I like your videos. Not sure if you are using the GoPro mic or doing a voice over but on the last couple videos I could barely hear anything.

Also, what speed to you use for the plexi to keep it from melting? I tired it on mine and even with light pressure it wanted to melt.

Im working on the audio, I have a wireless mic on the way. Is your bit nice and sharp?

Looking real good so far. I'm not a big fan of the streched fleece style usually but your approach of using it as a concaved dish instead of the typical ring poking up style looks much better.

Thanks, I totally agree, some fiberglass for the sake of fiberglass and it ends up with crazy gross shapes, in my opinion less is more, and i really like the way it turned out.

So, I haven't posted in a little bit due to the Holidays and traveling. But I'm back and ready to get down to business. Been learning Adobe Premiere so expect my videos to become better, also ordered a wireless mic, so I cant wait to improve the sound quality in my videos! Anyhow heres a quick update:

I ran the power wires, signal wires, and the speaker wire. I am bypassing everything factory. I color coded everything with the techflex. I must say I love working with this stuff. Really cleans up an install in my opinion. Obviously its more of a "looks" thing that can't even be seen, but I like how clean it makes the install.

Running the wiring:

DSC_8508.jpg

Power wire bundled:

DSC_8517.jpg

Signal and Speaker wiring, I tied em down, but after I took this picture (Also the previous owner must have put that sound deadening there! Kinda funny!):

DSC_8518.jpg

More bundles:

DSC_8519.jpg

My lady insisted on taking the pics, I like this one!

DSC_8547.jpg

Let me know what you think, happy new years!

Here is the latest! As you can see I know have my panel wrapped with vinyl and the insert wrapped with suede! In this video I will show the technique I use to achieve this. You have to check it out and let me know what you think!

DSC_8831-2.jpg

Edited by mklett33

looking good man!

So I have been testing sub forward and sub rear. With forward I definitely get more bottom end output, facing rearward I get more output in general. Still need to completely decide.

I'll be trying the rabbit bit for sure the next time I'm planning on wrapping a panel. I have never really been able to get interior stuff to look profesional and after watching your videos I think I know where I've gone wrong in the past. Thanks for posting and keep up the good work.

I'll be trying the rabbit bit for sure the next time I'm planning on wrapping a panel. I have never really been able to get interior stuff to look profesional and after watching your videos I think I know where I've gone wrong in the past. Thanks for posting and keep up the good work.

Will do! Glad you enjoyed it.

So I am hoping to wrap things up (no pun intended) on the amp rack this weekend, stay tuned.

Got the main piece wrapped in vinyl, its glossy looking because I put on Armor-All.

Stay tuned for the video showing how to do this!

DSC_8851-2.jpg

DSC_8855-2.jpg

DSC_8858-2.jpg

So here is the video guys, within it you will learn how I wrap a complex panel with vinyl. This includes heat shrinking, what glue to use, how to get rid of wrinkles, etc. If you have any questions let me know!

How long did it take start to finish to wrap the concaved portion?

It took me about 6 hours, but that was, move the camera, move the light, move the camera, move the light. Without the video stuff probably only 2, and a majority of that is time to allow it to tack. I was doing other stuff during that time.

I figured it would be a fairly long process. Even the few small panels I've wrapped that were fairly flat took some time to get all the corners done smooth without wrinkles. Good work.

Thanks man, I hope from watching my video you can now pull off something larger!

A little break from my build, but we all need to kick back and laugh every once in awhile!

Edited by mklett33