Sign in to follow this  
sundownz

Sundown SA-8 v.2 Prototype Thermal Testing

I will upload the video soon... will take a while as it's 9+ minutes long but the results really speak for themselves.

We compared against a very well respected 2.5" coil driver rated for 600-watts RMS -- many people do run much more than that to this particular driver.

The comparison was done simply to give a reference point.

I was wondering if it was just me or if I wasn't even tickling this driver thermally with 800+ watts on tap in my car (SAX-200.4 two channels bridged at 2 ohms)... so the question is now answered -- I really wasn't even close to the thermal limits as this 60 Hz test is brutal with very little excursion. On music where the sub is moving 4-5x more the cooling is enhanced by more air movement. So that answered the question about whether my little spacer ring is or is not doing what I wanted it to do :thumbsup:

SA-8_v2_Thermal.jpg

So what this tells me is that I'll probably bump up my official rating to 500 RMS on the SA-8 v.2 -- and that the limit is really purely mechanical on them. I CAN get it to full x-mech on the 200.4 in my car at very low frequencies under box tuning.

Sign in to follow this