Jump to content
frogcase2002

05 sable 2 zcon 18s on 10k in b-pillar walll

Recommended Posts

frogcase2002    225

M5 you think it would be better to try tweeters in the a pillars or in the other 6.5 hole in my doors

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
///M5    2,198

Definitely pros and cons for both.  Have to balance aiming, frequency response, time delay and reflections.  Obviously related a ton to the vehicle.  My 02 Silverado dash was a hot mess for mounting anything up high, my Escalade great.  Generally between the two cars I run the same mid, but completely different tweeters (both trucks have had multiple mids).  The D2904 which I love (in my Escalade atm) does not sound right in the doors of the Silverado.  

So what would I do if I were you?  I'd look at my car.

If this is your car, I'd want the tweeters about where the picture is cut off if putting them on the pillars.  

mercury.jpg

As for the doors, close to the mid wouldn't suck

2005-mercury-sable-sedan-4-door.jpg

Obviously your doors might be different with the dual 6.5 spaces...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Billy Jack    146
22 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

Definitely pros and cons for both.  Have to balance aiming, frequency response, time delay and reflections.  Obviously related a ton to the vehicle.  My 02 Silverado dash was a hot mess for mounting anything up high, my Escalade great.  Generally between the two cars I run the same mid, but completely different tweeters (both trucks have had multiple mids).  The D2904 which I love (in my Escalade atm) does not sound right in the doors of the Silverado.  

So what would I do if I were you?  I'd look at my car.

If this is your car, I'd want the tweeters about where the picture is cut off if putting them on the pillars.  

mercury.jpg

As for the doors, close to the mid wouldn't suck

2005-mercury-sable-sedan-4-door.jpg

Obviously your doors might be different with the dual 6.5 spaces...

I just traded one of these off except mine was a ford but looks just the same. I had my tweeters mounted to the black piece that covers the mirror bolts. Of course mine sucked they where infinity kappa 6.5's and you could barely hear the tweets and that was with them set to +3db being powered by a kicker CX 300x4.  The sundowns I got over powered them pretty bad even on half power.

Edited by Billy Jack

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
frogcase2002    225

Mine is pretty much like the second pic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
///M5    2,198

Google said they were both 05 Sable's, but I didn't double check the pictures after finding them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
///M5    2,198

I wouldn't use the 2nd one of those for a tweet.  Only thing you could put in there would be a second set of Evils, just make sure to cross them over to only way lower midbass where the single one could use some extra reinforcement.

Tweeter you could put above the front mid or the pillar.  For you I'd assume you would like it more on the pillar, but am letting the wall portion of the thread influence my decision.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jay-C76    327

I tried the top corners of the pillar once....was a little overwhelming. Maybe you could do a customization the the pillar similar to a F250's gauge cluster is aimed. Just tossing ideas....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jay-C76    327

Also have you tried the sit normal in the car as if you were driving & have someone else hold the tweeter in different locations & different aiming angles to hear what pleases your ears. Then figure out how to make it permanent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
frogcase2002    225

When I first did some a pillars I had them at the top of the pillars and didnt really like them . Tried them down wedged in where the a pillars and dash meet and sounded alot better . . . . Guess its going to depend on which ones I get. What size they are . 

 

Yea im pretty much just looking for loud with this build. I just hate when shit is harsh. Like ear piercing . . . . . Not going for anything crazy sound quality  but just Want to be able to hear the front stage while playing the subs loud with not sounding distorted or anything

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
///M5    2,198

at every different height a different aiming is necessary.  Reflections on a car are a bitch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
frogcase2002    225

Started getting the car ready for the build . Got the rear and front seats out . . About to start somewhat of a frame for the wall within the next couple days

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Billy Jack    146

Will the Zcons take 5k daily? Ain't that double there RMS?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
frogcase2002    225

They can take ALOT . . Im sure they wont be seeing 10k anyway  . . Ran 3500 to one zcon years ago for over a year beating the shit out of it with no problems

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
frogcase2002    225

And when I had the 18s in my van on the 2 2500s you could tell they could take so much more . .  Didnt get hot and were forsure were not moving as much as they can

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ohio45113    24
11 hours ago, frogcase2002 said:

They can take ALOT . . Im sure they wont be seeing 10k anyway  . . Ran 3500 to one zcon years ago for over a year beating the shit out of it with no problems

Yeah i had the one 12 for a year and beat the shit out of it with a bc3500.  Acted like it wanted more...  Lol you remember.  

@Billy Jack zcons are amazing subs.  If you haven't ever seen or heard one in person i suggest you try to.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Billy Jack    146
1 hour ago, ohio45113 said:

Yeah i had the one 12 for a year and beat the shit out of it with a bc3500.  Acted like it wanted more...  Lol you remember.  

@Billy Jack zcons are amazing subs.  If you haven't ever seen or heard one in person i suggest you try to.  

I have heard the icon's and  xcon's but not the rest of SSA's subs. I was really impressed with the xcon's it was 2 15's in a trunk on a sundown 3k and they where doing work for sure. Poor car had shit falling off every where, and the system actually sounded pretty good sq wise. You don't see them a lot where I'm at unless you go to a big show that's where I saw those. Around here it's a lot of Memphis, JL, kicker, Fosgate, and DC for some reason. I got some DD subs a few years back and had to order factory direct cause there wasn't a dealer within 500 miles of me but they gave me a really good deal I paid well below MSRP. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jay-C76    327
20 hours ago, frogcase2002 said:

Started getting the car ready for the build . Got the rear and front seats out . . About to start somewhat of a frame for the wall within the next couple days

Super cool! Can't wait to hear it when it's done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
frogcase2002    225

If my plug on my car that hooks to my stock alt has 3 wires am I able to use an alt that has a 2 wire plug somehow? . 

Im able to use my 300 amp ohio gen from my van on my sable with just small modifications but the plugs are different

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
frogcase2002    225

Just ordered some evil 6.5s . . Cant wait till the tweeters are out

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Notorious97200    305

After 3 years on a 2400 watts amp, my 15" Zcon is like new ! Still super stiff. 

It barely move at full tilt, like it can take so much more ! 

 

I'm patiently waiting for the SSA tweeters.

Good luck with your wall. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
frogcase2002    225

Well someone did a hit and run on the sable while parked in front of my house. Kinda shitty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Randal Johnson    354
2 hours ago, frogcase2002 said:

Well someone did a hit and run on the sable while parked in front of my house. Kinda shitty

Damn bro, that's not good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
frogcase2002    225

Yea it sucks . Really only thing I need is a headlight and maybe a fender . .The  bumper and hood  are a little dinged up to but not as big of a deal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing

    No registered users viewing this page.

×