Sign in to follow this  
MichiganBasshead

4 channel setup. HELP!

1 hour ago, ///M5 said:

Drivers with a pro audio lean do not work in a 2 way.  Period.  Zero exceptions.  Efficiency and wide frequency response do not go hand in hand.

Would be better to make a thread than to ask in a thread from 16, but kudos to you for searching first instead of just asking the same question that gets asked over and over again...all because of some misinformation elsewhere in the mobile audio world.

That being said, first step is to understand your goals and to reset them.  There is no 2 way that will play to 100hz at the level your SA-12 can.  Not even close.  Of course if you had that as a set you probably wouldn't love it anyways.  Next step is to understand what you have for processing, background and what all you are contemplating to help the overall installation.  Experience you have with anything and like/dislike would also help.  

Many thanks for the response. 

1) Im looking into a decent AGM now and Big 3 to be a starting point for electrical upgrades. I just plan to monitor voltages once everything is up and then either get a 2nd battery or HO alt.

2) also a Dayton 408 DSP is what I'm considering for processing. I've read dozens of posts on the Dayton alone and it seems to be a decent starter DSP and it's in my price range of of $150-200. Like I said I before I'm not really looking to hit an absolute homerun with everything. I'd actually prefer to gain some experience with moderate level products that aren't trash and are decent and I can utilize them for my wife or daughters car as I upgrade later on.

3) I've also done a ton of research and watched vids on fabrication and feel comfortable creating any type of a pillar pods or door modifications necessary for 3way active

4) I also plan to focus on the advanced steps like aiming, axis, o-scope or some other piece of equipment which I forgot at the moment, for setting gains, the mic used to calibrate things..etc

I'm preparing to setup up everything properly just actually the hardest part is simply finding which speakers to get. My budget for the front stage speakers is $300 give or take. If it comes down to it and $300 for what is required just flat out doesnt exist then I'll try to find it used, if that doesnt work and the absolute only speakers that will work for this setup cost $500 then so be it.

I'm not sure if you meant theres no 2way speaker that will keep up with an SA-12 @100Hz or no 2way active setup that will keep up. Im pretty sure you meant 2way active cuz I've already heard someone say that and recommended I go 3way... Then on that same thread a dozen guys chime in a say how a 2way active is possible and plenty people have done it and made it sound good it just takes the exact right speakers, tuned properly, fully treated doors (all of which I'm willing to do) and yadda yadda yadda and round it goes.... that's why I've just taken a step back and just roaming the internet for info and not starting a thread. I start a thread and get pulled in 5 different directions with conflicting advice. I reached out to you cuz it seems you know what your talking about and at the end of the day either theres got to be something that works.

Ok I seen you said no exceptions so what speakers in a 3 way setup would you suggest with everything else considered? I'm forgetting about 2way...

Edited by Maxmil982

2 hours ago, ///M5 said:

Drivers with a pro audio lean do not work in a 2 way.  Period.  Zero exceptions.  Efficiency and wide frequency response do not go hand in hand.

Would be better to make a thread than to ask in a thread from 16, but kudos to you for searching first instead of just asking the same question that gets asked over and over again...all because of some misinformation elsewhere in the mobile audio world.

That being said, first step is to understand your goals and to reset them.  There is no 2 way that will play to 100hz at the level your SA-12 can.  Not even close.  Of course if you had that as a set you probably wouldn't love it anyways.  Next step is to understand what you have for processing, background and what all you are contemplating to help the overall installation.  Experience you have with anything and like/dislike would also help.  

Hey man what do you think about these in an 05' Altima doors to start off a 3way active? And do you believe the comments and write up claiming these will get low and perform in a 2 way setup to be a stretch?

I was recommended these by several car audio vets and haven't heard anything bad about them...

Theres also a 6 inch:

Edited by Maxmil982

On 5/12/2020 at 8:02 PM, ///M5 said:

Well there "ARE exceptions"! The Steven's MB8 is installed and is crazy efficient at 98db (and that's with only sending it half rated) and I have it playing from 90hz to 2000hz and my SB29RDNC-C000-4 tweets pick up at 2k and the setup kills, its crystal clear and crazy loud. A simple 2 way that has stupid efficiency and FULL range, so yeah in my case they went "hand in hand" perfectly. Got it tuned with a Dayton 408 and everything is virtually flat across the board... listening to you I wouldve thought this setup didnt exist.

No exceptions.  Never heard of Stevens...but they can't break the laws of Physics.

5 hours ago, ///M5 said:

No exceptions.  Never heard of Stevens...but they can't break the laws of Physics.

Stevens is Eric Stevens, the guy who used to work at ID that made the horns. He branched off and has been doing Audio under Stevens Audio for a couple of years now. 

Ha, well then I know Stevens.  Didn't put 2 and 2 together.  Still no exceptions.  Compromises perhaps.