Sign in to follow this  
Audiobahnaholic

MAW 15 Box

I am getting ready to build a box for my MAW15 and I have no idea where to go with a design. The space I have to work with is 48"w x 21" h x 20" d. I'm removing my back seat and building a sort of half wall for it (all below window line). Can anyone help me?

Well, you have a fair bit of room to play with there. From the sounds of it, anything will/can go. If you are ripping out the seat, have you considered going with a larger driver? A pair of 18's in an IB config would be a very good choice if you want good clean bottom end...

Best,

Mark

Well for now I'm going to stick with the 15. I got it for $40 BNIB, so I want to see what it can do. I can design it I just have troubles with ports. Like I don't know how much area because I want to move air and still sound good and length gets me. Any help?

Have you decided on a box size? We will need that to determine what size/length of port you will need.

Not sure what your goals are...but try this:

W = 48", H = 21", D = 10" (gross volume ~ 4.5cf)

Ports = two 4" diameter ports, 15" long (tuning freq ~ 29.5 - 30Hz)

I've came to this:

17h x 17d x 30w

INTERNAL

Actual box is 48 to take up all the room with a 1.5" thick wall inside at 30inches so the sub only sees 3.7 cubes of the box.

Specs - 3.7 cubes net, port 17H x 3W x 30 3/8L tuning roughly 32hz

MyMach5Box.jpg

MyMach5BoxX-Ray.jpg

So what do you guys think?

So what do you guys think?

Looks great. What program did you use to draw all that? Perhaps you could flush mount the amp(s) with the excess space. Man...it's so nice having extra space.

I used Google Sketchup to draw it all out. I'm thinking flush mount amp and a plexi window with some neons, but I gotta think on it first. My biggest concern is do my specs look right?