fritosaregood

Shorted out Sub/Amp?..messed somethin up

I ran into wat i think is a big problem today.

here is wat my system consists of: one 15" audiopulse sub on a Sundown 3000D, and an Alpine PDX-5 with goldwood speakers

I was drivin down the road, took a sharp turn and all the sudden my sub made a very loud thump sound and then the amp shut off. So i turned everythin off until i got where i was goin and checked it out.

I popped the trunk to check my circuit breaker and it was still closed. then i noticed one of the batteries in my trunk had moved. What im pretty sure happened was when i took the turn, the batt tilted and the terminal on the negative post hit both the pos and neg bolts attatching my speaker wire to the sub box.

I moved the batt back into place, and turned the stereo back on and all there was was loud static coming from the alpine amp that faded off in about 30 secs, and then turned to engine whine coming out of the speakers. It used to have engine whine but I got a noise isolator and it stopped. Any idea what made it come back?

Then i turned the Sundown amp on; it turned on fine, seems to still put out all the power, but when i shut it off, the subwoofer makes a loud "thump" sound? What could be causing this?

Edited by fritosaregood

go back through all your wires, a grounding fault could cause the noise on the amps... hopefully it's just a grounding problem and not a damaged Alpine...

go back through all your wires, a grounding fault could cause the noise on the amps... hopefully it's just a grounding problem and not a damaged Alpine...

i hope its just the ground.. it was the neg side of the battery that touched the pos and neg speaker wires.. ill be takin it all out tomorrow to find out for sure

check your wires... and if all is good there change the head unit

check your wires... and if all is good there change the head unit

are you sayin i might of messed my head unit up? and it that wat is causing the loud thump from the sundown or the whining from the alpine

Its a Premier 590 head unit.

Edited by fritosaregood

yup... but check those wires and shit first. take a good look at your RCA's

sounds to me like the soft turn on circuit or ( anti-thump ) circuit got damaged.

yup... but check those wires and chit first. take a good look at your RCA's

im about to start takin it all apart,

how would i tell if the RCA's are bad from the looks?

well you cant unless is smashed or cut.... try ANOTHER pair...

well you cant unless is smashed or cut.... try ANOTHER pair...

ok.. this will be my sixth + pair..haha.

ive take everythin out now all the rca's look find at the amps i havent checked behind the radio. that were my noise suppressor is too im goin to check that part tomorrow.

and for the sundown amp everythin on the outside appears the same. no burn marks on the remote turn on input. do you know if it would be easy to take off the cover and look inside for anythin thats wrong? or would that void a warranty.. if this situation is even cover on the warranty

Well the battery is DC ( one way ) and it fell on speaker outputs, AC (speaker moves in & out). does the sub still play normally till you shut it off? then it pops?

Well the battery is DC ( one way ) and it fell on speaker outputs, AC (speaker moves in & out). does the sub still play normally till you shut it off? then it pops?

at first i thought i blew up the sub with the battery.. but the DC power never touched the sub wires. it was only the negative post and that just shorted the pos and neg speaker wired bolts. it still plays normal, the amp still puts out all the power. but once i turn the amp off it makes the same thump/pop sound it made when the battery hit the speaker wire bolts

Next time you go to turn it off press "Mute" and see if it still pops.

Volume at zero is different than mute.

You measured?

You measured?

no but just think about it. wat does the volume knob do. it increases the pre amp output voltage, that goes to the amp that makes the sound. 0 volume = no sound = no output voltage, but even it there was .01 volts coming out its not somethin that would make a thump this loud

at volume zero there is still a bit of voltage you may not beable to hear the system tho depending how good your hearing is

Disconnect the RCA's from the amplifier (with the radio off) and plug an iPod or something similar directly into the amplifier using a mini to RCA adapter and see what happens. For the turn off pop try disconnecting the remote wire from the amplifier. Using a short jumper wire manual turn the amp on and off by jumping the batt(+) term to the remote term. If this fixes the problem throwing a relay on the remote lead may help. Turn off pop and alternator whine is typically caused from a wiring issue. Where did you ground the amplifiers? Where did you run the audio and power cables? Do you have any loops in your RCA's? I see you are running a Pioneer HU. You may have blown the internal micro fuse. Have you ever disconnected the RCA's with the radio on? Try grounding the RCA's and see if that helps with the alternator whine.

Well I know a guy, and he got a new Pioneer HU and it makes the same popping sound your does, I've heard it. When He turns it to zero his door speakers pop, when he turns it on "Mute" there is no sound as he turns it off. That's why I'm so interested in tis thread, I haven't figured it out yet.

RCA ends touching each other or touching another metal surface can cause the static issue you mentioned with your Alpine amp. Make sure you tape your RCA ends.

Something is fishy here...first of all, the battery should never have moved, that's priority #1 to fix...

#2...I can understand if you get a bad set of interconnects, bad QC happens, but 6? What was wrong with the previous five? :P That smells like an underlying installation problem if you're changing cables that much.

Something is fishy here...first of all, the battery should never have moved, that's priority #1 to fix...

#2...I can understand if you get a bad set of interconnects, bad QC happens, but 6? What was wrong with the previous five? :P That smells like an underlying installation problem if you're changing cables that much.

That is awesome... Figured I would get warned for saying something like that... ;)