acsamples21

Score

12.5 volts is not much of a loss/drop in voltage... the alternator will help some but it won't be "substantially" louder... I don't think that amp is "taxing" the electrical that hard... (I have 2 x 1,000 watt amps and only an extra battery and I my voltage hardly drops below 13)... Prior to that i had 1000 watts with no alt and no extra battery and no issues (I have a small scion tC so it's not like i have a huge stock alt)....

The alternator is a great start though, it will leave you with the available "amps on tap" should you decide to upgrade to a much better amp with more output potential...

Once the alternator is in your nest move should be a better amp for that sub and you'll be doing pretty damn good in some local comps should you decide to compete...

And i suggest it, you will learn a LOT from the veterans over there... People who has tried it all and knows "hands-on" what works and what doesn't

okay well then my next question is...my amps.. SHOULD I get ANOTHER orion 800.2 and have the two of them poweren the btl..or get an SPL brand amp.. are they anygood?...or how bout a hifonics BXI 2006D ANY GOOD? i need to know wut people think of my choices... im tryin to save money

well jason, you get for what you pay for. you could get the spl, but i would predict alot of trouble out of it. though ive never owned one.

also, he ran his orion to a 2 ohm load for a couple of months. though the gain was less than half going to the aq. however, if he got 2, he would be pushing alot out of his amps considering the sub can take it(it's dual 2 btw). now if he had the gains all the way up, would his orions last? they are rated to go down to 4 ohms, not 2. but i don't have a whole lot of experience with orion amps.

about his voltage, it was up so high due to the fact that he was revving it. and it was a short burp. It would have easily been down to about 11.1 if not that. I personally think the alternator would help.

he also wants an spl enclosure. Im going to test what he has to help determine what i should tune it to. I was thinking same size(cant get bigger), slot ported with roughly 75 sq. inches of port tuned to around 45-50 hertz, depending on what i choose.

farriswheel very good questions... very good foresight as well

now if he had the gains all the way up, would his orions last? they are rated to go down to 4 ohms, not 2. but i don't have a whole lot of experience with orion amps.

let me first start off by saying that ANY amp with the gains all the way will almost certainly spell trouble... A lot of experienced guys here will say if 3/4 should be MAX but no more than 1/2 way should be used... A high gain leads to clipping and clipping makes more heat then usable power (it's much more than that but in essence clipping is a very BAD THING for the amp and sub regardless of how much a sub is rated to take).... So the gains all the way up is not just a bad idea for an orion but all amps... I would suspect that over time the orions life span will shorten if it is used below it's stable impedance rating of 4 ohm.. So you are correct that it doesn't seem like a good idea to get another orion and hook it up one amp per coil (since i am certain the A/B orion amp is NOT strapable).. this also leads to another issue... you would need to set the gains with an Oscilloscope in this manner.. If one amps gain is not in tune with the other and they are powering each coil then it could spell trouble...

I don't know anything about SPL amps.... I won't comment either way but I agree once again with farriswheel "well jason, you get for what you pay for"

If he is experiencing voltage drop with rev then it would help but that also means that amp is not as efficient and one would like it to be...

IMHO i would look into a Sundown amplifier... They are very very hard to beat for price per watt per performance and excellent customer service... Jacob is stellar and these types of issues (amp questions) he himself has no problem answering... As with Fi and scott, Jacob the owner personally see's to any issues that you will have with the amp and you will get "TRUE" power...

An sae-1000d is highly efficient (up to 80%) and very strong.. and i believe it can be got for under 420 dollars... next up is a saz1500D Highly recommended... 1500 (+) watts for under 500 dollars..

you can PM denim (Aaron) or SSaudio (Mark) for a great deal on these amps (they advertise MSRP but the "real" price you will need to get via PM from them 2)...

Also Farriswheel let him know that tuning that high is a bit of a trade of on Daily driving musicality... Finding his cars resonance will help him gain some numbers....

12-16 square inches of port area per cu^ft is what Fi recommends and i would definitely listen to nick and scott on the matter... NOBODY knows their subs strengths and weaknesses better then the designers and abusers of the sub...

Edited by theabunai

also look at jacobs b stock ads on ebay. you might be able to pick up quite a deal on there.

Thanks guys! you are pretty good fellas! i know we had our slight arguements there and sorry if i came off like i was pissed or defensive i just thought theres a better way to tell someone theyre wrong without sayin it in a certain way! and like i said idk much i went based on wut alex says (farriswheel) and he is very smart! so thats why i say wut i was told by him! i wasnt insisting ever that you guys were wrong! but thanks for the help and all and i will upgrade my amp soon hopefully!

well does anyone have an opion on the Hifonics BXI2006D ? do they work good? would it be good to power the BTL? is it worth it? please le tme know because im seriously considering this amplifier

It's alright.... It can power it

By why spend the money for that amplifier line when you can get something WAY better for under 400 bucks... ??

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/shop/in...Cat&catId=9

IMO those are much better amps.... Competition amps... And those listed prices are NOT the actual price but dealers must list it as that.... email

support@soundsolutionsaudio.com for the REAL pricing on any amp you see on that page...

You can read up on how good these amps are here

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/i...hp?showforum=48

In fact now that i look at it ANY amp in the SSA store is a good choice...

when looking for an amplifier i suggest you do some research on the AMP AND the company...

Some companies are high Quality but those companies have a few "Entry Level" amps...

Some companies are not known but make outstanding amplifiers...

If you read up on them (take Sundown for example in that link i gave you they show REAL WORLD testing not just some number made up in hypothetical situations, REAL testing = Real Numbers...)

Edited by theabunai

my bad i meant to hit 5 not 4 (for the SAZ-1500D) under 4 for the SAE-1000D...