Sign in to follow this  
static

FiQ/XXX/Tantrum/Sealed

Ok, I have owned quite a few subs in my quest to find the right one for me. I searched long and hard for a '05 XXX 12 and I finally got one powered by a tantrum 1200.1 in a 1.1 'ish cubic foot enclosure. I think it's suffocating though.

It sounds good, I just think this sub was more suited for a larger sealed or ported only enclosure. For my vehicle I can only fit a small sealed enclosure, so I was thinking of going back to a Q12. I have a SSD12 with copper coils/BP but it's in my home theatre setup right now.

Should I keep the XXX, because it is an awesome sub or go with a equally awesome sub the Q12 because it's better suited for my application?

The vehicle is a 2002 supercrew - limited space without something creative or extreme measures like taking out a seat :)

Thoughts, Comments?

I'd run the Q in the vehicle and the XXX at home :)

Judicious use of polyfill will help.

I'd run the Q in the vehicle and the XXX at home :)

Judicious use of polyfill will help.

Hmmm... Sell the SSD, buy the Q for vehicle and put XXX in the 2.2 ported enclosure in the house? Not a bad idea, except the XXX is dual 4 and my plate amp will only do 4 or 8 ohms and it's not much power at 8 ohm either. But not much power is needed in the home theatre dept. as opposed to car audio.

I had an 05 XXX 12 in 1.15 cu ft sealed box and a 2.0 cu ft ported box tuned to 32 hz, both with 2000 watts. You might need some more power for a box that small with the XXX. It got low, loud, and sounded razor sharp.

I got significantly more output in the ported setup.

I've also had my Q in both a sealed and ported box as well. I think the Q likes a sealed box better whereas the XXX prefers a ported box tuned low.

I think a Q would work better considering the power you have on tap and being restricted to a sealed box.

Edited by bigjae1976

I had an 05 XXX 12 in 1.15 cu ft sealed box and a 2.0 cu ft ported box tuned to 32 hz, both with 2000 watts. You might need some more power for a box that small with the XXX. It got low, loud, and sounded razor sharp.

I got significantly more output in the ported setup.

I've also had my Q in both a sealed and ported box as well. I think the Q likes a sealed box better whereas the XXX prefers a ported box tuned low.

I think a Q would work better considering the power you have on tap and being restricted to a sealed box.

This is my thinking also. I have an email into a enclosure designer for a underseat build for either a Q10 or 12, ported or sealed. We'll see what he comes up with.

I can build enclosures - quite well I might add and fiberglass as well, I'm just not good at the designing part as far as complicated designs go.

If anyone has any ideas or designs for a 2002 ford f-150 supercrew for under the seat, let me know.

Stupid dumb truck, no room for a subwoofer, now if I could find some bucket seats for the front passanger or rear buckets I'd be in business. Uh inexpensive ones

Sign in to follow this