Sign in to follow this  
rjajmr0221

time to upgrade highs

i have a new project vehicle that already had some work put into it by previous owner and i am in need of new highs for it. it is a 97 civic 4-door. car came with jl tr 600 coax in the doors but they are pretty much shot. i havent payed much attention to car audio for the last couple years so i am pretty out of date with the latest equip. looking for something i can pretty much drop in without a ton of fab work (at least for the mids). looking to keep it between $100-150 but will go up to $200 if justifiable. need it to be well balanced musically. i listen to country, r&b, rock, hip-hop, talk radio......just depends on the mood i am in at the time.

the equip i have to work with

radio - alpine 9855

sub amp - alpine mrp-m500

subs - 4-10" jl w0's

highs amp - pending power req. for highs.... either the alpine mrp-f300 or f450

oh and doors do have 12sqft. of dynamat original per door done by previous owner. should i do more?

By "highs", do you mean just tweeters?

Or everything above subbass?

I'd pull that regular Dynamat off and put something butyl based on instead.

was going to get some second skin and just go right over the top of it.........good or bad idea?

Edited by rjajmr0221

bump

was hoping get stuff ordered asap. have the next week off and wanna get the ball rolling on this. any input? off the shelf, dyi i am in the dark here guys and need some help.....please

Thought of using the bass engine pro on teh 9855 to crossover your own speakers?

Thought of using the bass engine pro on teh 9855 to crossover your own speakers?

the jl coax that are in it now are junk. the surround on one is torn about 1/3 of the way around it and the other side sounds blown. all it does is pop and crack.... or else i would try and work with what i have.

i did see @ an online site cdt has the cl-s60a comps on sale for 99.99 good price? worth it? they also have the upgraded tw-24 tweet with it for a few dollars more......

the jl coax that are in it now are junk. the surround on one is torn about 1/3 of the way around it and the other side sounds blown. all it does is pop and crack.... or else i would try and work with what i have.

i did see @ an online site cdt has the cl-s60a comps on sale for 99.99 good price? worth it? they also have the upgraded tw-24 tweet with it for a few dollars more......

I guess that answer is an obvious no?

IIRC, the onboard Xover functionality of the 9855 is the same as in my 9835, except with the addition of that godawful Glide Touch...if that's the case, it's more than enough to get going with a simple 2-way active setup. The 5-band parametric EQ isn't quite as nice as separate L/R channel EQ's, but it's enough for a start.

IIRC, the onboard Xover functionality of the 9855 is the same as in my 9835, except with the addition of that godawful Glide Touch...if that's the case, it's more than enough to get going with a simple 2-way active setup. The 5-band parametric EQ isn't quite as nice as separate L/R channel EQ's, but it's enough for a start.

yeah the glide touch can be a pita @ times. what do you mean by a simple 2-way active setup. pardon my ignorance its been some time since a have done anything to a car.....

Usually component speaker sets (2-way) come with passive crossovers. They are recommending an active setup, meaning not using the crossovers that come with the set, but rather using your deck etc, this enables fine tuning for a better imaging.

oh, alright i got you now..... any recomondations on decent equipment to use? like i said before i have been out of the caraudio loop for a while now and have no idea who is putting out quality stuff. i wanna do this right the first time.

oh, alright i got you now..... any recomondations on decent equipment to use? like i said before i have been out of the caraudio loop for a while now and have no idea who is putting out quality stuff. i wanna do this right the first time.

What are you looking for, components or coaxial, and whats your budget?

And will you be amping these speakers?

Edited by sick6ness

What are you looking for, components or coaxial, and whats your budget?

And will you be amping these speakers?

comps, $200 or less, yes either an alpine mrp-f300 or f450