Sign in to follow this  
VersusTerminus

2 12" BL's

Hi, this is my first post here and i don't know much about car audio so take it easy on me. I am considering getting 2 of the 12" BL's to put in my car. I dont really want them in a sloppy box in the trunk, but i don't want to take out my backseat to install them. I know it might look goofy, but the backseat in my car flips down, so i was wondering if it would be possible to build a box that has the speakers in the trunk facing the cab if i have enough clearance for the subs while the seats are up? This car will be for daily music, i listen to mostly jeezy, trae etc, but sometimes i like to switch it up with some death metal (In Flames, and the like). What amp will i need to power these subs so that they thump hard but the amp is still within a reasonable price (not trying to set records, just want a nice system).

I don't understand your want to put the subs in the backseat vs the trunk.

If you have a properly built box, you won't need to worry about "sloppy" subs.

The way you intend to do it, I would classify as sloppy though.

I don't understand your want to put the subs in the backseat vs the trunk.

If you have a properly built box, you won't need to worry about "sloppy" subs.

The way you intend to do it, I would classify as sloppy though.

by sloppy i mean just some prebuilt box thrown into a trunk. maybe i didnt describe what i wanted to well. The box will be in the trunk, but when looking into the trunk it wont look like there are subs in there. its kinda hard to describe i guess, but i guess ill just find a better way to mount them. will a sundown 1500d be good enough for these, or should i get a kicker 2500 or SD3000

Look at my avatar...are you talking about like that?

Thats from inside the vehicle....if it is...then yes, that is a good way to mount them if they fit....It also stops the trunk from rattling as well..if your not shooting monster wattage like me.

I've got my XXX mounted just like that RE in that picture(my old setup) and it straight thumps. Will make the inside quite loud..

Hope this helps.

Do you have enough space for 2 12" woofers in the configuration you want to do? Especially in a ported box?

You might think of going down to two Q 12's in a sealed box off of a 1500D. Sealed boxes are fairly easy to build and with a decent amount of power can get loudish.

Look at my avatar...are you talking about like that?

Thats from inside the vehicle....if it is...then yes, that is a good way to mount them if they fit....It also stops the trunk from rattling as well..if your not shooting monster wattage like me.

I've got my XXX mounted just like that RE in that picture(my old setup) and it straight thumps. Will make the inside quite loud..

Hope this helps.

that is exactly how i wanted to mount them, thanks a lot wildsebring, it was just hard to put into words haha. as far as having enough room, i think i should. the car they are going into is a 98 jetta and they have pretty big trunks. if i could get some dimensions of a good ported box for 2 12's i could do some measurements and go from there, or maybe i could do like 1 15?

ok, ive done some measurements and this is what i came up with. first off, my seat doesnt lay down flat, but stays at an angle, im thinking i can either reupholster the seat (my step-dad does upholstery) and take out some of the lower foam so it lays down nicer, or maybe do a plexi backrest or something. if i want to run a flat box (all corners 90degrees) i can make it about (HxWxD) 18"x37"x37", but if i want to make an about 82.7ish degree grade in the front i can change it so the bottom has 45" of depth and the top has 37". the reason why i would do this is so i can put my backseat up if needed (it would match the slope of when by backseat is up). Now i am unsure if BL's or Q's would fit my need better, i know that the Q's supposedly have better sound quality, but do they still hit nice. If they still hit pretty nice with better quality then the BL's i think ill go with 2 12" Q's with a SD1500d in a ported box. in a lot of the threads i read, i see people mention the "big 3", what is that?

Edited by VersusTerminus

A Q will get loud if you put it in the proper box. The big 3 refers to upgrading your electrical under the hood by running more power wire/ground wire. (Battery to atl, alt to ground, etc.) You can do 2 12" Q's sealed and it would sound nice. If you're worried about pure output, you'd probably like the ported BL's. Assuming I did my math right, you'll have enough room for the BL's. Get them fully loaded and throw a 1500D to each?

Well, i don't really want to fill my trunk up with box (the 37" depth is filling the whole trunk up to the seat). I think a more realistic box size is 3' x 1.333' x 1.8333' (36"x16"x22"), this size being the outer dimensions. This would give me a total of 7.33 cubic feet. If i went with the 2 BL's, would be be possible to run them both off of a 1500d then later on down the road (when i get more money) get another 1500d to power the 2nd? I also need to buy a new head unit too, which is why i would have to do 1 amp now, 1 later, any recommendations on a good HU?

Sign in to follow this