Sign in to follow this  
cshaw

near fields using car audio speakers

would i be completely wrong for designing and making my own 2.0 speaker play back system for my mains? i have nothing on which to play back so they would essentially be my near fields. for recording and such.( actually my left over car audio speakers in my closet lol) i have 2 mmats mid ranges along with tweeters and passive x/o

Parasound, Rotel and others make high-quality multichannel amps, they show up on Audiogon all the time. Expect to pay $500-600...

so scratch the original idea. im making some book shelfs for a friends new apartment. till he decides he has money to do the stereo, i made a test box at .5 sealed. mark recommended .7 ported at 45hz but i didt have enough scrap wood.

anyway, how important is spacing between mid and tweeter? and spacing between edges of enclosure? taking a look at pro audio studio monitors rounding the edges makes for smoother freq. response, wider sound stage, and baffle diffraction? am i close? im just trying to understand how to make good sounding books shelfs as far as the enclosure goes. thanks

Edited by cshaw

You should space the midrange and tweeter as tightly as possible. The reason is that this minimizes the path length difference when you are off-axis to the speakers. You may not sit off axis, but sound radiates in that direction and bounces around the room, eventually arriving at you. I would worry less about spacing to the edges and rounding the edges, though for the former you might try to put the tweeter a different distance from each edge.

For an amp, I'd say go as cheap as possible... a Behringer a500 would work well.