Sign in to follow this  
duece212

Cold/Heat effects on AGM batteries?

Hey all. Putting 3 d3100's in my setup and am thinking about putting them in a toolbox or sealed battery boxes under a tonneau cover in the back of my truck. How much impact will cold Colorado winters and hot summers (around 100 degrees) have on the performance of these batteries?

My plans are to run a few runs of 1/0 up to some buss bars inside the cabin and then go from there to my amps.

thoughts?

Scottie would be the best one to answer, but if you are driving normally and not letting it sit for a long time you should be ok.

Right on, ended up running them inside the cab of the truck just to save on wire and to have the batts closer to the amp. If I ever decide to add more they will have to be in the bed of my truck. Hopefully the need for more current doesn't arise :/

Try living in Alaska, my sub is frozen solid every day! lol

The temps the batts are exposed to in the bed will be no different than under the hood. The warmer the batteries are the better they perform. For example, a battery that is rated at 925CCA (0 degrees) should be able to do around 850CA (32 degrees). You will get the best performance from XS Power AGM batteries right around 80 degrees... any warmer and you dont really benifit that much at all.

The temps the batts are exposed to in the bed will be no different than under the hood. The warmer the batteries are the better they perform. For example, a battery that is rated at 925CCA (0 degrees) should be able to do around 850CA (32 degrees). You will get the best performance from XS Power AGM batteries right around 80 degrees... any warmer and you dont really benifit that much at all.

Do you mean 850@ 0 degrees and 925 @ 32?-