Sign in to follow this  
seanbw

switch from 15" to 2x 12"? i have...

A 33w 16h 18.5d space for an enclosure

a 1995 accord coupe

a sundown 1500 for power

i listen to classic rock and rap.

i have approximately a $500 budget for two woofers.

spl is my goal, but i do not want a fart box. i want loud low music nothing more.

couple of woofers i was thinking about:

IA DR 12d1

fi Q d1

ssa icon d1

PAP WMD 12d1 (they're so cheap!)

im running a RE sx 15d2 that has been reconed by fi with some cooling and suspension upgrades. i'm open to suggestions on woofers and box designs, what port size, length and orientation especially.

nobody?? is my post flawed or is it just a bad idea to think the same cone area will be louder with two motors instead of one?

wouldnt 2 12's have more cone area than 1 15, i thought that it was only 1 15 has more cone area for 2 10's. Im interested in what people have to say too, im wondering what would be louder too.

wouldnt 2 12's have more cone area than 1 15, i thought that it was only 1 15 has more cone area for 2 10's. Im interested in what people have to say too, im wondering what would be louder too.

well the surface area of the cone (sd) of say for an example the ssa icons don't vary much:

one 15" is 810 cm2 and one twelve is 480, giving you only about 150 cm2 more cone area? i don't know if that would make a significant difference or not. i'm kinda waiting for someone who knows to chime in :D my logic could be flawed.

What's wrong with the setup you have now? What are you hoping to gain by switching to the new setup other than being louder?

well nothing is wong with my setup. actually i just got started with it. i'm going to tear it out and deaden, plus my box is a little low on port so i've been told. i think its about 29 in2 for approximately 4cu net, some people would argue that's too little... but i would enjoy building a new box myself as i had someone build the other one for me and there's some serious deals on woofers out there due to our shatty economy. i guess i'm just interested in building a second unit for the car and comparing the two, then i can sell the stuff i don't need or want. plus i can put some much needed $ in the pocket of someone who is trying to float a business and needs it more than i do...

your going to be scraping bare minimum for a pair of most twelves with those dimensions.

your going to be scraping bare minimum for a pair of most twelves with those dimensions.

perhaps i should do a new box for my 15?

That's what I would do.

how big is your box? and whats it tuned to?

That's what I would do.

how big is your box? and whats it tuned to?

33w 16h 18.5d out of 3/4 mdf with a 2in wide 14in long port. i'm not sure what the math works out to on tuning but i think its low 30's around 4cu

IMG_0716.jpg

Edited by caligreen

Build a new box for your 15 and give it more port area.

Build a new box for your 15 and give it more port area.

what kind of port width and lengths should i use on the same dims box?

i see so it would end up about double the port in both length and width. i like, i like a lot!