my_first_account

Building a Subwoofer

We put a piece of 1 inch thick Birch on both sides of where the driver sits to keep the front panel braces against the 50 pounds.

Some more pictures. I have a feeling I am going to love how it will sound.

DSC01455.jpg

DSC01457.jpg

DSC01458.jpg

DSC01459.jpg

That's my KLH 10" driver next to the Mal-X. Pretty big comparison lol

DSC01460.jpg

Some more pictures:

I found out that pictures do this driver no justice at all...

CopyofUTGM324Gen3forSale043.jpg

Cutting the holes for the braces:

CopyofUTGM324Gen3forSale046.jpg

Me cutting those holes:

CopyofUTGM324Gen3forSale048.jpg

The finished brace. We rounded over all edges of the wood and used sand pape to make it smooth to keep airflow going:

CopyofUTGM324Gen3forSale047.jpg

We put a little crossbrace to help keep the two braces from vibrating too much:

CopyofUTGM324Gen3forSale049.jpg

CopyofUTGM324Gen3forSale050.jpg

CopyofUTGM324Gen3forSale051.jpg

CopyofUTGM324Gen3forSale055.jpg

Siliconing around the port and in the inside back of the box:

CopyofUTGM324Gen3forSale052.jpg

CopyofUTGM324Gen3forSale053.jpg

CopyofUTGM324Gen3forSale056.jpg

The braces installed. We rounded over all edges of the wood and used sand pape to make it more smooth to keep airflow good:

CopyofUTGM324Gen3forSale057.jpg

UTGM324Gen3forSale061.jpg

UTGM324Gen3forSale062.jpg

UTGM324Gen3forSale063.jpg

UTGM324Gen3forSale064.jpg

UTGM324Gen3forSale065.jpg

The top braces is about half an inch away from the top of the port, to keep the airflow smooth:

UTGM324Gen3forSale058.jpg

Test fitting the driver:

UTGM324Gen3forSale067.jpg

UTGM324Gen3forSale068.jpg

UTGM324Gen3forSale069.jpg

UTGM324Gen3forSale071.jpg

Temporary bolts until it gets painted. We used T-nuts to keep it secured:

UTGM324Gen3forSale072.jpg

UTGM324Gen3forSale073.jpg

The box in my room:

UTGM324Gen3forSale077.jpg

UTGM324Gen3forSale078.jpg

I wish that there would be a way that I could make the box around 13 cu.ft and keeping the same dimmensions. But, that's the way it goes. Hopefully it will REALLY shake the walls when I get a new amp? lol. It's already impressive with the current amp, but I can't imagine what it will be like with the EP2500 and the Reckhorn B-1.

Hopefully this is a good build thread :T haha.

I will post pictures of the foam when I get it in the box.

Thanks again to everyone for the help.

Edited by my_first_account

What is the enclosure tuned to?

You did not properly mound the driver. In fact, the current way it is mounted to the box could damage the surround. The decorative ring around the driver is there to partially hide the screws and provide a gasket between the driver and the box. You should NOT have the screw heads/washers on top. That is forcing the top of the gasket into the surround of the driver and could cause the driver to fail. You need to use screws that will fit into to the gasket holes or pull the gasket back back while installing the screws.

-Robert

Edited by Robert_J

What is the enclosure tuned to?

You did not properly mound the driver. In fact, the current way it is mounted to the box could damage the surround. The decorative ring around the driver is there to partially hide the screws and provide a gasket between the driver and the box. You should NOT have the screw heads/washers on top. That is forcing the top of the gasket into the surround of the driver and could cause the driver to fail. You need to use screws that will fit into to the gasket holes or pull the gasket back back while installing the screws.

-Robert

Thanks for the concern and the help. The screws were only there for the way home, about 5 minutes. I was thinking the same thing about it damaging the surround. I put shorter screws under the gasket once I changed them.

The box is tuned to around 14.65hz.

I love the sound of it, and it will be around 25-30db's better once I get the EP2500. It will shake the walls like crazy then.

Thanks again for all of the help

You do know about the minor issues with the EP-2500?

1. The noisy fan - Easy swap that took 5 minutes. The new fan took a week to get here and cost $12. I also used an old PC power supply to create a power plug on the fan. That took about 30 minutes. I also reversed the air flow so it sucks from the front and blows out the rear. Insert your own jokes here.

2. Low voltage from the A/V receiver - I think it may be Onkyo models but some don't have enough voltage from the LFE output to properly drive the amp. I am running a Pioneer VSX-1014 and don't have a problem.

I also suggest you get a BFD to tame the in-room response.

-Robert

You do know about the minor issues with the EP-2500?

1. The noisy fan - Easy swap that took 5 minutes. The new fan took a week to get here and cost $12. I also used an old PC power supply to create a power plug on the fan. That took about 30 minutes. I also reversed the air flow so it sucks from the front and blows out the rear. Insert your own jokes here.

2. Low voltage from the A/V receiver - I think it may be Onkyo models but some don't have enough voltage from the LFE output to properly drive the amp. I am running a Pioneer VSX-1014 and don't have a problem.

I also suggest you get a BFD to tame the in-room response.

-Robert

Yes, sadly there are problems. I will do the fan mod, if needed, but will probably do it anyways. I will be using the Reckhorn B-1 to boost my Pre-Out voltage as it is only 1v at 1k (ohm sign).

What other kind would you recommend, while keeping it in the $300-$400 range?

Thanks

There are a couple of Behringer products that will boost the voltage and I can't remember the name of any of them. Check Home Theater Shack. There's a huge thread on modifying the subsonic filter of one of these. I'll also look and update this post if I find it.

That was fast. It was the ART Cleanbox that I was thinking of - http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/diy-subwoofers/5310-art-cleanbox-mod-thread.html . You will need to mod it slightly but that only takes a few minutes and costs about $1 in parts.

Another edit - I saw the B-1 mentioned in that thread. Based on features, it looks like the way to go.

Edited by Robert_J

Yep, I'm going with the Reckhorn B-1. How loud are the fans on the EP2500 stock?

Thanks for the help Robert

My wife said it sounded like a small airplane. It was really annoying.

*in the newsletter* ;)

What newsletter? My thread? Is that what it's called now???? lol jk

Not to discount your thread, you need to check out some projects at AVS. Threads go for over a year and have over 100 pages and that is just for a $20,000 sub project. Complete theater build logs have become epic.

I saw that thread ove on HTS. 20 grand on just a sub project is insane. He must be :wacky: for subs lol.

I haven' been over at AVS in a while. I will check over there again. Just another quick question. Could I use this as a HPF filter for my sub only set at 14.50hz very accurately?? I found someone selling one for around the same price as a Reckhorn B-1, so I wanted to see your guy's opinion on it. Also, does it have a input voltage boost on it? My current receiver's Pre-Out signal isn't strong enough to run the EP2500...

Here it is:

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/MIC2200.aspx

Thanks for all of the help guys.

I have never used a HPF device. I picked up an SVS/Marchand black box (adjustable HPF) but haven't used it yet. I'm building some clones of the SVS CS cylinder subs and I'll use it then.

I want to try the B-1 on some surplus 500w NHT plate amps I have. They require a very high signal and the B-1 can put out a 10v signal. I want to build something like the 3rd design - http://www.creativesound.ca/pdf/SubDuction-plans-290307.pdf and put in an AV-12 from Stryke Audio / AE Speakers.

I have never used a HPF device. I picked up an SVS/Marchand black box (adjustable HPF) but haven't used it yet. I'm building some clones of the SVS CS cylinder subs and I'll use it then.

I want to try the B-1 on some surplus 500w NHT plate amps I have. They require a very high signal and the B-1 can put out a 10v signal. I want to build something like the 3rd design - http://www.creativesound.ca/pdf/SubDuction-plans-290307.pdf and put in an AV-12 from Stryke Audio / AE Speakers.

I was thinking about getting the B-1 also, but thought for a little extra money, I would go for the extra Xmax from going from a 15hz HPF on the B-1 to going to a 13.50hz HPF on the Ultragain MIC2200.

Got my EP2500 from Kevin Haskins of DIY Cable as an open box product so I decided to get it now. Went with the MIC220 also. I absolutely love the sound of the sub now. It's a crazy difference from going fro 150w to 2000w. Bass I Love You sounds awesome. It shakes the walls like crazy, and the 11hz tone has set off my houses' alarm once so far :wacky:

Luckily, my mom didn't get to mad when that happened haha. While playing Opus Dei off of YouTube, I have to take pictures off of any surrounding walls. I can feel the low bass around 15hz in the living room over 30 feet away, and it is blocked from my room by two other rooms.

Here is a little video I made of it playing The Bass Will Destroy You by BassoTronics. It's around 1/4 power:

Here's another vid of Opus Dei at about 1/2 power:

I love watching movies in my room now. It has much lower and louder bass (if needed) than any movie theater I've been at. I also noticed that if my door is touching the door jam, that the sub will push the door in and out on the 6hz and 11hz tone on Bass I Love You. It really suprised me at first.

Thanks to everyone for the help clap.gif

Thanks.

I'm going to paint it ths week. My uncle had an idea of putting diamond plate powdered coated black on the front of the box. We'll see how it turns out...

Man, sounds like you have something to be really proud of! Congrats!!!

I've posted some more videos on Youtube. If you want to see them, look at my profile ( airsoftsniperm4 ). I would post them here, but don't want to take up too much forum space :fing34: