Sign in to follow this  
m3n4ce

fiberglassing calculations

So i know you can tune a box to a certain hz and specific dimensions for a squared ported/sealed box But, Is it at all possible to calculate and tune a fiberglass piece that you make to mount your subs on the side of the car or anything? ive read many tutorials on how to fiberglass but nothing really mentions anything about proper dimensions and what not for a sub. so am i sacrificing quality and proper sound for looks by fiberglassing?

a lot of it comes with experience. Just like how a mechanic can look at a nut or bolt and know what size it is. But you can fill any odd space with kitty litter then pour the kity litter into a one cubic foot box to see how large your odd space is.

But it is possible to measure a fiberglass enclosure properlly so its not just random and you loose out on sound quality or what you want with your subs?

i mean, if you knew all the angles, curves, and thickness of the glass then i guess....

but it would be extremely difficult to even figure all that out.

just fill it, then measure how much it took to fill it

hmmm so basicly its a trial and error type of thing or you could just guess and stick ur sub in and hope it works out lol

hmmm, good idea. its always simple solutions that get over looked lol

you ball park it to begin with. get a rough idea of how much space you have vs how much space you need.

build the enclosures mold and check its volume with a measureable media. water would be the most precise, but a dry media is easier to use. again, smaller media will be more exact. sand works well. or kitty litter. i am partial to styrofoam peanuts since they are easy to clean and carry around. fill the form with them. then start dumping them into a measureable container, like a cardboard box. so if your box is 12x12x12, then everytime you fill the container with peanuts you have 1 cubic foot of space.

say you were shooting for 3 cubic feet, and you come out with 3.5. if you absolutely must have 3 cubic feet, then you need to displace .5 cubic feet of space inside the box. so put something in the box. some bracing. a styrofoam block. your neighbors kitten. it doesnt matter, as long as it is securely mounted and takes up space.

and dont over-calculate yourself into a nervous wreck. there is a margin of error in box building. anywhere between 5-10 percent wont cause damage to your equipment.