Sign in to follow this  
cheese20323

Few Questions About Marine Audio

So my cousin just got a boat, he doesn't want big system, he wants something would just give him good sound, so my questions were that boats operate on 12v so i wouldn't need all those of marine audio or do I? Can I use like a regular car deck and speakers and amp? He just wants 4 speakers, 2 off the amp and other 2 off the Hu's power and leave the rear channel on the amp for a sub. But do you really need a sub for marine use would you be able to hear it? He just wants some thing little not go all out just for chillin...

i don't know how well the bass could be heard since the boat is open (I'm assuming).

The only difference between car audio and marine speakers is marine speakers are more durable and less susceptible to water damage as car speakers are. (at least from what I can tell)

That is what I'm trying to see if it is worth it, and it's crazy but the boat has door panels that are not sealed but somehow water doesn't get in there, so the water part is good just don't know if the sun might mess em up, but he is going to buy a cover for it...So I need more OP's guys.

I would recommend Marine Grade speakers for 2 reasons. First off, they are made to withstand the elements. They are engineered to be water resistant and hold up outside. There is humidity in the air and being in direct sunlight will brake up a traditional speaker faster. 6 1/2" Alpine Type S Marine speakers cost just as much as Type S Car speakers so why not? Secondly, most marine speakers are designed to be used in applications with large rear chambers. Most of the time, when speakers are cut in, they have MASSIVE amounts of air behind them so they are usually designed for applications like that.

As for the sub, will it be cut in or put into an enclosure?

As for Marine Grade Radios and Amps, you can get away with any 12v product, IF they absolutely won't get wet. If you get a radio wet, that will absolutely void your warranty and same with the amp. Make sure you use a Maine cover on the radio too, and that it stays closed well. Keep a cover on the boat when you aren't using it.

You can hear subs just fine in Marine use. Its not chest pounding of course as most operate free air from what I have seen and heard. Marine audio tends to be built up a bit more in the weather sealing department. Like waterproof HU's and speakers. Doesn't mean you can use a regular HU or regular equipment. But you take a huge risk of damage from people, waves, splashing, rain, etc.... There is just a lot more moisture on the water then there is on land. So that plays a role in corrosion of stuff. So most marine amps have coated PCB's to prevent corrosion from the moisture and stainless steel caps, etc... where as our car amps don't have that.

Personally, I would do it right the first time with proper equipment. Cost will be substantially greater in the long run if stuff starts fail because its operating in an environment its not designed to be in.

Hope that helps. :drink40:

So I will probably end up getting the marine Type S speakers so as long as the equipment isn't wet then I should be set, so we not do a sub after but all 4 speakers off the amp. And maybe an Alpine CDE-100 because marine ones are expensive.