Sign in to follow this  
M.C.BOB

some electrical questions

I'm currently running 2 dual 2ohm sa-12's and plan on upgrading my amp (currently a crunch 1500 lol, it's getting the job done for now) to 2 saz-1500d's. Right now I'm just saving up money for the amps and working on my electrical. I currently added a lead straight from the alternator to the battery. Replaced the lead from the battery to the chassis and sanded it to bare metal. Added a lead from the block to the the battery. And finally today I added a lead from the block to the chassis (using the same spots as the other grounds). Is upgrading this wire even necessary? After I put that on I had a reading of 14.1X. Turned on the system and it stayed pretty consistent not dropping below 14.00 volts. Used 1/0 gauge by the way.

Anyway, I would like a higher voltage reading and had a few questions. Does the length of the ground leads alter the current flow? Meaning if I had shorter grounds would voltage raise? The block to battery ground pretty much goes across the engine bay (it's roughly a 4ft lead) same with the chassis to block lead.

Lastly when I do upgrade my amps I'll add a second battery for them. Should I run the power lead from the front off the battery, or could I run it straight off the alternator? Or does this matter. Also I was planning on grounding the amps from the battery upfront. Is this a good choice or is there a batter option?

Sorry for the long post I just want to get everything as perfect as I can. Any info is much appreciated.

Edited by M.C.BOB

Realized this should have been posted in the electrical section. I went ahead and posted there too. Sorry folks.