Sign in to follow this  
Slumpin

want to push my 12's to the limit

i've already bought an amp, but out of curiosity what did that re amp set you back? whats it rated at?

310shipped i got it used they havnt been made since 2002. 1500w @ 1ohm 1100w @ 2ohms, i was looking at getting a eD 9.1, but i found this for cheaper and more power and it looks new still

Edited by skmfkr

woot been running 950 to each for about a week now. i think i have a pretty good ear for distortion and i've been watching it, they seem to be holding up alright. needless to say, they freakin wang. sound different than my nine.1, i think i must have been clipping it because it just sounds a lot cleaner and more controlled.

only thing i dont like though, is that it seems a lot punchier now. it seems like i could push the low bass further, but the punchy bass wants to start distorting sooner. i had my deck xover at 80 with the nine.1, i turned it down to 60 with the new amp, and it helped a bit, but still punchier than i like. my decks got a good eq, what else can i play with to try and get rid of the excessive punchiness?

woot been running 950 to each for about a week now. i think i have a pretty good ear for distortion and i've been watching it, they seem to be holding up alright. needless to say, they freakin wang. sound different than my nine.1, i think i must have been clipping it because it just sounds a lot cleaner and more controlled.

only thing i dont like though, is that it seems a lot punchier now. it seems like i could push the low bass further, but the punchy bass wants to start distorting sooner. i had my deck xover at 80 with the nine.1, i turned it down to 60 with the new amp, and it helped a bit, but still punchier than i like. my decks got a good eq, what else can i play with to try and get rid of the excessive punchiness?

i found that when i put my rl-p 12 in a small sealed box (about 1 cubic foot before disp) it sounded super dry and smooth and still went low low low, maybe you can try putting something in your box to take away some of the volume? exatly how is your box installed in your car?any pics?

i've actually got mine stuffed full of poly at 1.3 net per driver. think i should try taking it all out? i dont have any pics of the box outside the car, and its a pita to take out, but heres one of it in the car, with my old amps, the nine.1 and 8004. notice the orion just dwarfing the eD, was kind of embarrassing.

418063-R1-07-15.jpg

Edited by Slumpin

it would only take half an hour to take the polyfill out, and while it was out try a few pieces of 2x4 in the box to reduce volume a bit? also the way your subs fire onto the glass in your rear door/hatch im guessing there is only a few inches between sub and glass when closed? this will effect the overall sound of the subs if you can somehow rotate the box so the subs have more space in front of them i believe that would make the overall sound less punchy.

oh no, i built the box into the hatch to get every last square inch of space. it wont even budge. its a chore to get it out with 2 people. kind of stuck there. and when i do the box for my 15's, i'll have to either make it higher or bring another section all the way up to the back of the seats to get the airspace i need.