holley2346

Problem with my VCM

I tried calling you today about it but no response.

I finally got my VCM today after a couple of months and hooked it right up.

My problem is that it tries to charge at 19 volts.... it won't let me adjust the voltage at all.

I have quadrouple checked the dip switches and they are on the correct setting.

My alternator uses an exciter I got from DC power to run... when I put the vcm harness in between it tries to charge at 19 volts and won't do anything else.

The only thing it will do is go dim and bright and tell me voltage... it will go into voltage adjust mode (blinking decimal) but the voltage won't adjust up or down.... I've hit both up and down hundreds of time.

So as of now I'm stuck with a 150 dollar voltmeter.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

Can you please email me pics of the install and of how the "exciter" is hooked up? With a single alternator set up on a GM application there is no need for anything extra to be hooked up. The stock wire harness will bring voltage into the L terminal on your alternator plug and this is what powers the alternator. Yours maybe totally different though, but I will have to see what you have before I can try to work through it.

On 99% of the HO alt and OEM alt applications using the VCM all you need is your stock wire harness plugged into the VCM harness and then the VCM harness plugs into your alternator. Then you wire the yellow wire to the output stud on the alt with the battery cable, the black wire to the ground, and then the red wire to a fused 12V source (if running on a 12V system).

Sorry if you left a message on my phone and I didn't get back to you. We have just moved our offices and warehouse and our phone system (along with a few others) is not running at 100%. If it makes it easier just PM me your # can I will give you a call. I am sure it is a simple fix as are most issues with single alt VCM set ups.

Please pm me your direct number so I can call you around lunch. Its far from a simple single alternator setup.

Thank you