Sign in to follow this  
Frostedflakejake

Dolby 5.1 Tracks

I just picked up a Yamaha R-V503 for $6.99! I'm the processing of going through the thing to make sure everything works and was wondering if anyone had a 5.1 track I could download? I'm not really a movie fan so I don't own a single movie; nor have I ever illegally downloaded one. Doesn't need to be anything spectacular. I would just like to make sure "Dolby logic pro surround decoder" works.

Thanks in advance!

Oh! And I realize it's kind of a waste of time to make sure the 5.1 works if I don't watch movies and thus don't listen to anything recorded in 5.1, but I'm considering reselling this unit if I could get north of $50 for it.

:)

what source file do i need to create for you?

I can create 6chan AC3 or 6chan DTS via Surcode.

Just let me know and make sure you know how to execute the file that you want.

Perhaps you could help. I don't really know anything about 5.1; I've never used it before.

I've connected all the speakers as it lists in the manual, but the center channel speaker will never work. I was hoping it was something related to 5.1 and that the center outputs weren't just blown.

Regardless, I wouldn't know how to execute either... :(

Well, before you obtain any material from me, please go into settings for the Center speaker and make sure it's NOT set to Phantom.

It needs to be set to Normal or Wide to test full 5.1 functionality.

I've tested it on all settings with non 5.1 material and got nothing. Don't know if that means anything - but yes, I know how to change the settings :)

If it helps, I'm trying to connect exactly like this diagram, except for only 1 set of speakers on MAIN rather than 2.

yamahar-v503-1.jpg

While doing this, and having it on the Dolby settings the center channel(s) do not work at all and the rear channels sound very poor. As if there is obviously something wrong.

trust me, one set on main is fine. Only way to run 2 sets on main is to disable surround sound completely and run stereo only.

This receiver does NOT offer true surround sound inputs therefore everything is controlled via the DSP.

So, honestly, you do not need a real 5.1chan recording.

If your settings allow everything to play and it isn't and everything is wired properly, could be defective...

Hmmm... that's good to know. Thanks a lot for your help! There aren't that many settings really and I believe I tried every combination so I would agree that it isn't functioning 100%. That's okay though! I only paid $7 for it and I was running it on stereo for an hour or two and actually enjoy it quite a bit.

I'll mess with it more tomorrow. It's late here!