Sign in to follow this  
BigGuy

SSA Subwoofer Classification

I've been doing a lot of reading and searching and I was hoping I could get some additional help. Is there a classification chart as to which SSA subs are deemed "sq" or "spl"? Is it simply the way that they are installed that makes them better geared towards one type of sound? Also, with the greater power handling subs is the "type of sound" the same or as power increases so does deepness, loudness, etc?

For example:

Dcon - low power sq sub

Gcon - mix of sq/spl at medium power

Icon - higher powered sq sub

Xcon - ultimate high power sq sub

Zcon - balls out, no frills spl sub

I know my review and thoughts maybe a bit elementary but please feel free to chime in and correct me as needed. It's a lot to tackle at once but for many like me this question has always been looming in my mind.

My understanding is that SSA drivers are ultimately geared towards sq. The higher end models can handle more power, and are designed for more output. I think the zcon may be geared a tad less from sq, and more for spl/loudness.

None of the drivers require their rms values, this goes for all drivers.

Read the product descriptions, that should help answer your question about differences been models.

Click on the sub menu "products".

I think they are geared for sound quality but can put up some great spl numbers to.smile.png

And to answer your other question the install and the enclosure will play a large role in how they will sound.