davo

civic hatch port and sub direction

Hey there everybody im new to the site so forgive me if i placed this in the wrong area but im trying to decide what configuration would be the best of both worlds as far as sounding good and being loud in a 91 civic hatch behind the back seats. I plan on running 1 12" sub. Should i have the sub and port forward, up, or back, or should i have a combo of the above port up and sub forward or back or any other variation of the above options? Any input would be great thanks im wanting to go ahead and build my box as i let my pocket recoup from the holidays as its fairly cheap to do. lol I'm just not sure what would be best for my civic.

Edited by davo

how much space between the port exit and the back of the car??

2-18's tuned 30hz FamilyMix261.jpg

thas nasty civil im interrested in just a single 12 behind the back seats i have no tint or cargo cover or garage to park in i was wondering about sub front and port front so this would also keep my sub out of the direct houston sun i could go with a bigger box but lay down my back seats so i can enjoy the loudness if both are forward as this is my current DD, but im not sure one of the members on here drew up a box design but if i puth the port back then i only have 3 inches of clearance between the port and the back of my car with a 2.5 inch port width will this be ok?? also i

thas nasty civil im interrested in just a single 12 behind the back seats i have no tint or cargo cover or garage to park in i was wondering about sub front and port front so this would also keep my sub out of the direct houston sun i could go with a bigger box but lay down my back seats so i can enjoy the loudness if both are forward as this is my current DD, but im not sure one of the members on here drew up a box design but if i puth the port back then i only have 3 inches of clearance between the port and the back of my car with a 2.5 inch port width will this be ok?? also i

sub up port back would get you the best performance in a hatch i hear that what im doing on my integra hatch got 3 8" subs and im getting tints all around 5% rear and im not sure 50% or 35% front anyways as long as you got some clearance you should be fine what 12 are you going to use?

there are several im considering the obsidian audio 12 the fi-x series the ssa gcon and the incriminator audio lethal injection

there are several im considering the obsidian audio 12 the fi-x series the ssa gcon and the incriminator audio lethal injection

for the space you have have i would say go with fi x similar to the gcon but gcon needs a bit bigger box then the fi sub. and out of the 4 options you got the fi and ssa are the best and like i said for the space i would go with the fi x very underrated sub well built made in usa and you wont be disappointed. thats what i would do if i were you. coming from a hatchback car owner to lol i have a 2000 integra...my buddy had a 98 integra and had 3 of the older fi x series subs man were those things awesome and took a beating like nothing. havent tried the new versions but the way those older ones performed left me with a good taste.

and what about the orientation will forward forward be ok so i could keep them outa the direct sun or just quit being cheap and limo the back half and go sub up and port back?

and what about the orientation will forward forward be ok so i could keep them outa the direct sun or just quit being cheap and limo the back half and go sub up and port back?

Let me say this one thing I learned is by going check and doing things another way instead of doing them right the First time I would end up not being happy so I would go back and do it right and end results were ended up spending more money then I should have needed to spend in the beginning. So like I do now is of I'm going to do something ill do it right the first time its a bit more money but in the long run it ends up being the cheaper way....do sub up port back and limo tint and you will be really happy

thanks teg

I could definitely use all the help i can get to get past what ive always done such as having mass market subs and prefab boxes and no upgrades on the electrical system to having some real performance as far as a good sounding daily pounder All my friends have rowdied on down it seems with age and give ma a hard time about putting a system in my car again as im 32 but i just love the feel of the bass

Edited by davo

I hear you nothing like feeling hard bass giving you back massages as your driving lol

I hear you nothing like feeling hard bass giving you back massages as your driving lol

yep the best part of alot of my days

Let me say this one thing I learned is by going check and doing things another way instead of doing them right the First time I would end up not being happy so I would go back and do it right and end results were ended up spending more money then I should have needed to spend in the beginning. So like I do now is of I'm going to do something ill do it right the first time its a bit more money but in the long run it ends up being the cheaper way....do sub up port back and limo tint and you will be really happy

Thank you! i have the same question as davo. except mine is going in a 2000 Honda CRV. how much clearence do you need between port and hatch?

Minimum I would think a few inches but not much necessary I would say

yep the best part of alot of my days

Update me on your progress with your build. Goodluck

its going to be horribly slow but ill definitely keep updates when i do

thanks

Different cars and installs like different things. In one of cars about 3" and another nearly a foot seemed to sound the best. I always try to design the enclosure so I am able to move things around. Of course that isn't always possible on larger enclosures.

Don't feel bad about your friends giving you a hard time. I'm not far away from 40 and I still like it loud! One of my friends was giving me a hard time about how much money I spend on audio and I told him I could say the same about his golf clubs. He likes to play golf and I like audio. It's no different. Except I can enjoy audio anytime I want :)

lol no man if u could see my car its a big P.O.S. some guy hit it and when he did it actually fixed my bumper which was previously cocked up and is now level hahahahahaha

my buddy not only rags me about my stereo being loud but worth more than my car which will not be the first time to litterally be true i had a 1500 dollar system in a 500 dollar car at one point lol but i been drivin this thing and lookin for what i really want and im bringin it home tomorrow a 98 prelude sh and ill probably just transfer all my energy to the lude im gonna keep the hatch to cruise arund in tho