Sign in to follow this  
Stillbangin88

Comparison

Hello everyone I am new to the forum and trying to do some research before I purchase a new sub. I am looking at getting a single 12 most likely. I am currently looking at the Fi ssd, DD 2500, Sundown sa-12, and the ssa gcon. Also what amp would you guys recommend for running one of these? Thanks in advance

My friend owns a 12" Gcon and it slams! Sounded so clean and loud. Ohh and she only had it on 200 rms hahahaha

Damn really? That's impressive man. I was looking at the Skar audio sk-1200.D but I have never heard of them before. Is that a good amp for the money? I was also looking at the sundown sa-1000. 1k rms for 260 isn't a bad deal. Is your xcon 1 ohm stable? I may just want to get that if the price is right.

Damn really? That's impressive man. I was looking at the Skar audio sk-1200.D but I have never heard of them before. Is that a good amp for the money? I was also looking at the sundown sa-1000. 1k rms for 260 isn't a bad deal. Is your xcon 1 ohm stable? I may just want to get that if the price is right.

I just replied to you're pm.

Never used a skar amp, but I feel they're overpriced and the owner has a very bad rep so that alone won't allow me to buy from him.

Hello everyone. I have been doing some more research on subs. Right now I am still a little undecided. I have it narrowed down to two options. The Sundown sa-12's or the SSA Gcons. I guess my main question since I habe never owned either is are the gcons noticeably better than the sa-12's for the 80 dollar increase in price? Thanks for the help

Most users on here will say yes to the Gcon without even using both drivers.

What are your goals with your system, budget (on amps and subs) and etc.

My goal is to have a loud system that can take punishment daily. I don't plan on competing much maybe a time or two just to see what it will hit. My budget for the build is right around a grand. For sub (s) amp, box, 0 gauge kit, additional battery. The amp I am looking st but not dead set on is CT sounds 1400.1. My other question is can I achieve close to the same db by putting say a sundown x-12 on the same amp? I have heard those subs like power though and I'm not sure 1400 would be enough for it? Thanks in advance

Stop listening to hearsay, rms ratings arent the determining factor and a sub handling more is absurd. The enclosure will determine how much power a sub can see, whether its thermally or mechanically. 

You cant tell what subs will hit more dbs then others without building the proper enclosure for each one in your vehicle and testing with a meter. 

What does your current electrical setup consist of? Im guessing stock battery and stock alternator with no big 3 wiring done. Whats the stock alternator output?

My stock alternator output is 125A. I have a ground off of the negative to the frame and do plan on doing the other two of the big three when I upgrade.

Ok good start so far, usually most people choose what amp they want to run first. Then decide on electrical and sub(s) to complete system. You can also look into welding cable wire instead of 1/0 amp kit to save some on some coin. You can always grab remote wire and rca's online or locally if need be. 

There is no such thing as underpowering a subwoofer so dont worry about getting the most powerful amp at the moment unless you plan on upgrading in the future or plan on competing heavily. Building an efficient enclosure is key. 

Thanks for your input I really do appreciate it. I do understand a little about cone area but not a great deal. So my question still lies could I achieve equal or close to loudness with one better sub vs two?

I do understand that the box plays a part. That is why I may lean towards one 12 instead of 2 s I can build a big enough box for it. I really want it to hit lows. 31-33hz I was thinking?

No problem man at all.

If your building your enclosure in the car listed in your info, the 2006 impala then you have ample room to run 2-12"s ported. But that also depends on how much trunk space you want to give up for your system as well. A single 12" ported can please most people for a daily system, as long as its a good install.

The more I look at the x12 from Sunfown it seems to be what I am looking for. Something that is going to murser the lows. I think I am going to go with a single x12 on 14-1500 rms. Should he a bit of an upgrade from my two mofo 10's on 800 watts : ).

I am confident that my trunk itself has enough space to fit two 12's but my concern is the opening itself and getting a dual 12 box around 5 cubes into the opening may be a problem.