SpeakerBoy

Open baffle speaker design

I'm just beginning to learn about open baffle setups, I am planning to grab a sheet of mdf, cut it down to a pair of 2x4ft panels and trying out a set I have on hand, can anybody throw me some advice on picking speakers for open baffle? What should I be looking for?

I've heard these can provide a very natural sound.

Edited by SpeakerBoy

Best advice I can give you is that they aren't your cup of tea.

Always start with what you have and what you want to improve.  Doing something different for any other reason is usually an exercise in futility.

Understood. 

I have my big old towers for when I want it loud, but in home, i'm really starting to like SQ more than just loud all the time. 
I like the airy, open sound of some nicer speakers i've heard. I don't know quite how to put it, but it's like, the sound is delicate yet very present. Forceful with authority but not overwhelming. I don't even know where to begin making improvements to move towards that. SQ seems far more complicated.

My musical taste is changing as I get older. For the BTL rap is fun, but more and more I notice it all sounds like shit even EQ'd to the best of my ability, it's just shit recording. Older stuff is coming out more and more in my playlists.

Edited by SpeakerBoy

http://diyaudioprojects.com/Speakers/Cobies/

I have built a pair of these with great results, I have been meaning to try more speaker in this alignment but have not had time

As the review says people will either love or hate them.

I have built a few sets in the past, I'll try and dig up some pictures...

Problem is efficiency. 

I rebuilt several Carver Amazing Loudspeaker systems in the mid 90's while working at Audioprism.  Read up on them and you will get an idea about how they work and thier highlights and shortcomings...

I take it that they aren't for any sort of high level listening?

I'm not talking about blasting it, but for example, the same level of sound you'd get from a live performance at a restaurant, like, a band on stage playing some jazz or blues.

I have caught a case of "my speakers used to be satisfying but now they sound like mud to me" pretty badly lol.