Sign in to follow this  
lillitnn92

mono amp gain setting

stupid question

i just installed my nw Alpine MRP M850. now, on the other amp

Edited by lillitnn92

stupid question

i just installed my nw Alpine MRP M850. now, on the other amp

Bass boost is off, don't use it never have.

Just to recap.

New amp gain set at full minimum, and bass boost off. Sub volume on head unit set at 11 out of 15. I do this because I have some old hardcore punk that is weak on the low end, so when I play it I have room to give it a boost. The bass, mid and treble are where I would normally have them which is 3, 3 and 4 out of 8. HU volume at

Edited by lillitnn92

Could it be that you have other problems now related to the amp? If your output voltage is fluctuating with a tone instead of staying constant.. you might have a bad connection in the RCA's or possibly low voltage from the charging system.

These are all things you should look at.

Do you have the DMM set to RMS or peak? If it's set to peak, you're right about where you want to be. Multiply peak voltage on a sive wave by 0.707 to get RMS.

Don't be afrad to turn it up. That will speed up the break-in. All the break in is is getting the spider and suspension loosened to their designed final state. From the factory they will be a little stiff. It will sound better and get louder with less power after break in. You won't hurt it by turning it up now.

Do you have the DMM set to RMS or peak? If it's set to peak, you're right about where you want to be. Multiply peak voltage on a sive wave by 0.707 to get RMS.

Don't be afrad to turn it up. That will speed up the break-in. All the break in is is getting the spider and suspension loosened to their designed final state. From the factory they will be a little stiff. It will sound better and get louder with less power after break in. You won't hurt it by turning it up now.

don't have those settings on the meter, just a straight meter. i put it on volts AC and test. going to investigate tomorrow.

If it doesn't have and RMS setting, that is your problem. You're measuring whatever the voltage happens to be at the sampling time, or the peak voltage, depending on the meter.

If you plan on being even somewhat serious about car audio, go ahead and invest in a "True RMS" multimeter.

If it doesn't have and RMS setting, that is your problem. You're measuring whatever the voltage happens to be at the sampling time, or the peak voltage, depending on the meter.

If you plan on being even somewhat serious about car audio, go ahead and invest in a "True RMS" multimeter.

then why did it work on the old amp? the voltage range was spot on with all that i have read in many many searches. i was able to increase it right up to my desired voltage and hold it there. besides, in all of the tutorials and such that i found for directions to using a meter (including this site) none suggested a meter with rms and peak settings, just a meter.

IMO, RMS is implied when you say meter. I am really surprised you found one that only measures peak.

IMO, RMS is implied when you say meter. I am really surprised you found one that only measures peak.

It’s a Blue Point meter from Snap-on. Fluke actually makes it though from what I remember. I used it back when I was in maintenance at Perdue Farms and Pilgrim's Pride poultry plants. At the time it was a mid-range priced meter. I think I’m just going to play it safe for now until I get the big 3 and a new alt done. I just checked all my wiring to make sure nothing was astray and it's all wired correctly. The RCA's going to the amp aren't the best, but I don't have time to swap them out for new ones today.

I will say this, after playing around today, the truck definitely shakes more and it is hitting some low notes with authority, it's just doesn't seem like much of a leap from the old amp. Maybe it’s just my perception at play here; maybe it’s just that much cleaner and lower that I'm not noticing it as much.

What a difference a gain makes.

Update, so my multi-meter hasn't been used much since i left the plant maintenance world. It was the meter's batteries. Got to give props to Duracell, when they stamp the date on them, they have it right. The batteries said March 2008. Put some fresh ones in and was able to get the right voltage and it sounds better now. I can turn it up louder; the sub is blending in with the rest of the system nicely. Still need to do some tweaking, but it sounds great now.

Edited by lillitnn92

Glad you figured out the problem.