Sign in to follow this  
bigbirney420

Question on Mag 15 enclosure

I have a mag 12 now in 2.0 cubes at 32. I am trading for a 15, but not sure if I want it ported due to the size requirements. I have heard both sealed and ported 12's and liked both. If I seal the 15 I know it will get lower, but will i lose a lot of output over the ported 12. Both getting 1100 watts from my memphis 1000d. Its in the trunk of a Grand Prix. I listen to everything form Metal to some rap

Why makes you thin you'll lose output over a vented 12?

Easy way out, add another half-cube to your current enclosure, drop in the 15 and see how it sounds. If you're not satisifed, then you may have to build another enclosure, but I doubt you'll be dissatisfied, unless you're a basshead.

Not a basshead at all. I like my 12, but its just a little boomy for me on Rage, and some other metal. I love the ported output as well. My brother says we can tighten it up with a little have less port area and a little lower tune on the 15 so i may go that route. If not I will do 2.5 sealed. I had SS RLP 15 before in sealed and my 12 seems louder. I know they are different drivers. I have just been taught that ported output is always louder, even if you go up a size.

Edited by bigbirney420

You want to tighten it up, raise your tuning. If it's boomy, the enclosure is either too large, or tuning too low, or a combination of both, OR your vehicle's response curve is giving you a peak in the lowend. Of course, this is not always the case and is no guarantee. Every application will react differently, and there is no exact way to guarantee response.

The only way you will lose volume switching to the sealed 15 will be due to a more flat response versus the peak you are getting at whatever frequency range with the vented setup.