Sign in to follow this  
DS-21

Ava18: physical dimensions

I'm a soon-to-be Ava18 user. However, I'd like to get the cabinet started before the driver arrives, so I can plug, play, and grin. So if someone could confirm the dimensions I have, and fill in the ones I'm missing, I'd appreciate it.

OD (with gasket): 18.5"

OD (sans gasket): ???

ID (cutout): 16.75" (edit)

Height of driver lip (with gasket): ???

Height of driver lip (sans gasket): ???

Also, assuming the driver is recessed by .75" (mounted on the inner layer of a double baffle) how much clearance should I leave for the grille? (I plan to adopt a cat after I move, so I think a grille will be necessary to make sure that no claws touch the surround.)

As for how I'll use it, just in case anyone's interested, it will provide the foundation for my primary multichannel audio system. (I'd call it a "home theater" except that it is used 70% for music, maybe 25% for the Daily Show/Colbert Report and football, and 5% max for movies.) It's replacing a Tannoy B475, which is also an 18" sub, but one with probably 7-8mm xmax and tuned to ~25Hz in a 168L enclosure. I'm going to put it in a ~150L net (19mm walls, 38mm baffle, well braced) sealed box made out of Baltic Birch and finished with Venetian plaster. (I know I could get considerably more output by going with a vented box, but ~110dB modeled at 20Hz is plenty for me and at heart I'm a low-Q sealed box guy whenever that will get me sufficient output.) It will be EQ'ed and powered by my current sub amp, a Crown XTi2000. The other speakers in the system are all Tannoys, 12" dual concentrics up front for LCR and 8" dual concentrics for surround.

Edited by DS-21

I'm assuming you are talking about the Havoc. That looks like the only 18 subwoofer that will be avaliable. The Ava was and correct me if I'm wrong, Ava = Avalanche. The site should be up soon enough with all the specs and dimensions.

Well I guess you could have purchase a used avalanche, in that case, try to search the forums or even google it. I did that (I believe it was google) and I found the links to the old site. But to be safe, just wait till you get the sub.

I'm assuming you are talking about the Havoc. That looks like the only 18 subwoofer that will be avaliable. The Ava was and correct me if I'm wrong, Ava = Avalanche. The site should be up soon enough with all the specs and dimensions.

I am indeed talking about the old XBL^2 Avalanche 18, though from some of the shots it looks like the Havoc 18 (and Fi's 18's) might use the same 12-spoke basket as my driver so information from the new Havocs or any of the Fi woofers would likely be just as helpful to me. Yeah, 12-spoke "MTX" style basket rather than the 6-spoke basket shown on the archived Ava18 page.

As for waiting, if possible I'd really prefer not to. I bought a broken one that's getting sent to Fi to be reconed before it gets to me. So driver's not going to be here for a little while, even with the frankly amazing turnaround time Scott quoted me, considering that it has to go 3/4 across the country lengthwise twice. Oh, and to further complicate things, I'm also moving at the end of the month. After I move I'll be too far away to ask my current cabinet-maker to deliver to me. So while I certainly realize it's not the ideal situation, it seems to me that it's my best option right now.

However, I've had no luck finding the ???'ed information about any of those drivers. Particularly on the depth of the lip. Except for the Tymphany companies (Peerless/ScanSpeak/vline) and Seas, nobody seems to make that kind of detailed information readily available.

Speaking of which, I'm curious: was a basket upgrade from the 6 thick spoke with no under-spider ventilation pictures on the archived page to the 12 narrow spoke with under-spider ventilation a running change to the Ava18? It seems like an upgrade over the 6-spoke basket pictured on the website, with the ventilation holes under the spider. This driver was mentioned as being from the closeout.

As an aside, here's a picture of the driver I bought from behind, along with a basket shot of the TC Sounds LMS-5400 I assume replaced it in the PO's system:

DSC02096.jpg

Isn't that an elegant-looking motor? Not the giant LMS-5400, which I'm sure works extremely well but is certainly more "imposing" than "elegant." The Ava's XBL^2 implementation just looks so purposeful, something there to do a job without being burdened by marketing conceits into excessive butch-ness. Like the Aura NRT motor or the related - knockoff? - "beehive" TC Sounds used in a few pro audio applications there's just enough structure to get the job done, but no more. My kind of design.

To be honest, Im not sure what those other dims are. Ill measure a basket when I get into the shop today. Normally people are only concerned with the gasket on dimensions.

Ill let you know.

Thanks,

Scott

Thanks, Scott. I haven't decided if I want to use the gasket or simply put the frame on weatherstripping. The matte aluminum basket might look really nice against one of the enclosure finishes I'm contemplating.

And the Ava18 should be on its way to you from Florida now.

Sign in to follow this