Sign in to follow this  
mikecdm

thinking about a pair fo 12" assassins

Well I'm really aching to get some new subs, well really a new entire set up but at the moment only subs. Currently I have a 12" cvr and I'm really dissapointed in it. It probably has to do a lot witht the enclosure but I really didnt feel like trying to make a new one for it.

As always money plays a mojor role in my decisions and I"m kinda torn between (2) 12 Assassins and (1) 12 Q. I have really been wanting to buy the Q, but one of the things holding me back is the amp. I really cant afford to buy both an amp and a sub. I will most likely be using the amp i currently have pushing my cvr. It's nothign spectacular, not even great, but it works. Its a performance technique rated at 240x2 @2ohm or 480x1 @4ohm. watts. I figure if I get the Q i will be underpowering and who knows when I will be able to afford that sundown I've been looking at. On the other hand I can buy a pair of assassins and feed them very close to their rated rms. The price of both options is very close, almost to where it's a non factor.

My car currently sounds like ass to me. I beleive the problem is, no mid bass and then the bass the sub puts out also sounds bad. The cvr I am currently using is inside this tube thing that I believe is making it sound bad. Some bass notes sound ok and some bad, with the majority sounding bad and the lack of midbass doesnt help either. I'd really like to work on my frontstage but the car is a lease whichi is soon going to be getting returned. Once I get a new car then I will try to have a well rounded and balanced soundstage.

I don't really want tons of bass, but I'd like a little more and for the sub to actually play everything rather well, than just a few things well. I'm leaning towards a sealed box for which ever route i choose. If I get the assassins I don't know if it would be better to build a box with 1 common chamber or 2 individual chambers. Either way, I plan on building the box myself and will be my first ever attempt at building a box.

Other suggestions are always welcome and I appreciate any advise. Btw, the car is a bmw 325i. I really don't have a lot of trunkspace and I would like to keep a bit of room for misc. junk. I have concidered just building a sealed box for my cvr, but honestly I don't think that I'd be satisfied with the output. I am prettty sure that It would sound better, maybe not louder but probably better. I just don't think that it would get loud enough and that i'd be wasting my time building a box. Maybe I should just try it, I'd get experiance building a box and I would be positive that I was not satisfied.

Hmmm, Maybe I typed too much and nobody felt like reading it. :D I tend to do that sometimes as well. I was gonna buy some wood and attempt to build a box but i got lazy. I also have to borrow my brothers table saw and see what type of router he has. Maybe this weekend I'll give it a shot.

Why not to save a little money grab 2 10" Assassins and port them?

Not that I like the CVR's, but I'd buy an amp and change your box before buying different subs. There is no way it can sound good with that amp in that box. It is your fundamental problem. Make sure when you buy your amp you are set to upgrade your subs later. This way you can improve what you have now and still have room for growth. If you buy the subs I think you will be disappointed and want to change your amp quickly afterwards.

Thanks for the suggestions. I kind of already knew that my amp needed to be replaced but was kind of trying to go around it since I can't afford a new amp, or at least the one that I want to purchase. I pretty much knew already that my box was the reason my sub sounds bad but never thought that the amp was adding to the bad sound. The reason I wanted a knew one was so that I can power beefier subs. Are you saying my amp has an ill effect on my sub due to poor quality or just insufficient power? I'm pretty sure its due to the poor quality but I thought I'd ask.

Denim, The thought of running a pair of 10's had crossed my mind but have never really convinced myself to buy them. I'm pretty sure they perform well but I always like the thought of bigger speakers.

Just to let you guys know, just bought a pair of sundown sd-1's. I was gonna just try to build a box for the cvr, but these close out prices were too good to pass up. I don't want anyone to think I was just wasting their time, by asking for opinions then doing what ever I want to do in the end. I just bought the speakers before checking to see if anyone responded. I figure for the price it's not too much to risk and see if I like them.

Hopefully when I can afford the new amp I will try to buy better speakers. I have a feeling that ///M5 (cant remember his name) was right , and that if I were to purchase the assassins I might not be satisfied due to having a poor perfoming amp and that I most likely will not get the best out of them.

Either way, since I'm going to be building a box for the sd-1's I might as well try to build a box with the left over wood for the cvr just if If there is a noticeable difference.

Thanks for the suggestions. I kind of already knew that my amp needed to be replaced but was kind of trying to go around it since I can't afford a new amp, or at least the one that I want to purchase. I pretty much knew already that my box was the reason my sub sounds bad but never thought that the amp was adding to the bad sound. The reason I wanted a knew one was so that I can power beefier subs. Are you saying my amp has an ill effect on my sub due to poor quality or just insufficient power? I'm pretty sure its due to the poor quality but I thought I'd ask.

Denim, The thought of running a pair of 10's had crossed my mind but have never really convinced myself to buy them. I'm pretty sure they perform well but I always like the thought of bigger speakers.

Just to let you guys know, just bought a pair of sundown sd-1's. I was gonna just try to build a box for the cvr, but these close out prices were too good to pass up. I don't want anyone to think I was just wasting their time, by asking for opinions then doing what ever I want to do in the end. I just bought the speakers before checking to see if anyone responded. I figure for the price it's not too much to risk and see if I like them.

Hopefully when I can afford the new amp I will try to buy better speakers. I have a feeling that ///M5 (cant remember his name) was right , and that if I were to purchase the assassins I might not be satisfied due to having a poor perfoming amp and that I most likely will not get the best out of them.

Either way, since I'm going to be building a box for the sd-1's I might as well try to build a box with the left over wood for the cvr just if If there is a noticeable difference.

yea the box is holding back the cvrs, even though they arent great SQ subs and mainly geared towards SPL, but try to switch the amp/box

Sign in to follow this