Sign in to follow this  
mikecdm

Few more SD-1 questions

Just wondering what the cut out is for the 12" sd-1? I'm not too familiar with making holes for subs so I don't know if there is a pretty much close to standard size or if theres a specific size I need. I was also gonna try to make it with a double baffle to try to have that flush mount look. I would probably need the outside diameter of the speaker also.

As I type this I'm in the process of building the box. I'm realizing I'm not that great at cutting wood. Some of the pieces are mm longer or shorter than others. It's too hard to get perfect cuts with no experience in wood working. Honestly I'm not to confident in the box. Should I put maybe silicon or something to seal the edges in the inside, I don't think gluing them is enough. I was also wondering about add some screws to the box? Maybe it will help hold it together better. My brother also has one of them nail guns that use the tiny nails, maybe that will work better than screws and be easier too?

I just have to figure out how I am going to cut the circles. I can try to free hand it with the jig saw or come up with some contraption to get the router to do the holes for me. Sad thing is that I don't know what type of router bit to use.

Thanks, and sorry for all the questions... :D

So with some of the extra wood I had I built a small box for my cvr. I also made an attempt at free handing the hole with a jig saw. Made me reconsider my plans about flush mounting the pair. Seems if the circle isn't perfect there's no point into trying to flush mount.

I'm almost done with my boxes. I think I"m going to make the box for the sd-1's have individual chambers just so the divider can help brace the box.

Nope, I got it taken care off :) . I needed to get the box finished before the weekend was over and I understand that you cant be by the computer 24/7 to answer questions. I just made the cut out the same as the cvr I have. I figure I can always mess with it and it should be close enough. I also ended up adding a divider in the middle for more bracing. The divider does have a large portion cut out to leave more internal volume.

I tried using the router to cut the holes with a custom made jig thing. It didn't turn out as I expected. The holes were perfectly round but on one side of the board the hole is a bit bigger than on the other side. Think the bit had something to do with it.

I rounded over the edges and used the nail gun (maybe called brad nailer) to make sure it stays together. I also added some silicon to make sure no air leaks since my cuts weren't perfect. Only thing I need to do is maybe carpet it, or put some type of finish and figure out what I'm going to do about connecting the speakers to the amp. I've thought about just running the cable through it, using screws to connect the speakers to the box and the box to the amp. Just havent decided on which way to go.

I was going to take a pic of the box but the battery was dead on the camera. :(

Sign in to follow this